Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Packet loss

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have Roadrunner Cable service, I just did the ISP's speed test which gave me this result:

Your line speed:

4636.4 Kbps

568.2 K bytes/sec

I'm guessing that's a pretty good line speed, yet everytime I play on Xbox LIVE, I get god awful lag, and bring the entire servers ping down (and not down in a good way like ping is supposed to be)

I ran the Xbox's network diagnostic, and my packet loss is something like 12/25 packets, which is close to 50%...

I have called my ISP, and had them run a new line for a connection into my room, and moved the modem up there, that way I am no longer connected by a 75 foot cable around the house (What Xbox LIVE suggested I do) No luck. I'm playing via a Linksys router, but even if I connect directly to the modem it still doesn't help. My ISP isn't much help, they just tell me to call Xbox's support, who in turn tells me to call my ISP.

Any idea how I can fix this, or what's causing it?

Advertisements

asti

asti

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Not that Im an expert by any means, but just so happens we are fiddling with the same type of deal here...
what is the complete model of linksys router you have, and the firmware version?
also post the same info for the Xbox

having more information is always better, I have found