Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a DVD burner

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hi there

am looking to buy a new DVD burner for my AMD athlon 64 bit 3000+ desktop. I have about 50-60$ to spend ( not bad for a student i guess :tazz: ) i have been looking for a while now, and have shortlisted to these 3 :

1. NEC ND 3450A - for 48.00$
2. BENQ 1620 W - for 56.00$
3. ASUS 1608P - for 53.00$

most of these are dual layer burners with a maximum write speed of 16x, and DVD +R DL speed of 8x on the NEC, but 6x on the other 2.

WHich of these is a good buy, and is a good value for money? also does anybody have anything else in mind - something that they bought recently ot have had for a while. I would prefer that it be a dual layer burner though

hope to see the replies coming in

thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I bought this one DVD+/-RW 16x+|NEC ND-3500A BG/WS at newegg back in December. It is dual layer and I like it fine! I read lots of reviews before deciding to buy it. I don't know how this one compares to the NEC you are considering...perhaps yours is a newer model.

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
how abot this one Toshiba 16x16x DVD R/RW Dual Layer Internal IDE

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I agree with Austin. The NEC dual layer burners work great. I have an NEC 3520A, and that this is a slightly better upgrade than the NEC you listed above, so you should not have much problems. But if you have 50 - 60 bucks, you might want to consider upgrading that 3450A to a higher one, as mine was only about 55 bucks. Try pricegrabber:

http://www.pricegrab...earch=NEC 3520A

I have an enclosure with mine to make it USB external (both of my internal bays were filled) and it works great. The only problem with NEC drives that I have heard is that they do not work that well with burning DVD's with DVDXCOPY, which I personally have also experienced. But that's just one program. I have burned DVD's with other programs with no problems. DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, and ISO Buster are great DVD burning tools. Best of all - they're freeware!