Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply problems

• Please log in to reply

malerba28

malerba28

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey,

I have a barebone computer that i have been working on.

I got it to boot the first time and i installed windows XP, i left it on overnight to defrag and in the morning it was off and would not power up, the fans would spin for a second and then it would power down.

I think it is a power supply problem it is a 300 watt power supply, but it is weird that it would just stop working over night. Maybe it blew a fuse.

well anyway i need help i am stuck, i was wondering if i need a new power supply or is it something else.

thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. It could be the power supply is bad. First, verify call cable connections are good. A good basic guide for troubleshooting a new build can be found at the top of this forum at http://www.geekstogo...ms_-t28727.html.
Check the led's on the motherboard when you try to boot up. These should give some idea as to what is going on. Refer to your motherboard manual. It would be good to know your complete system specs as would better enable folks to help you.

The best place for information on power supplies that I have found is at
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
Read the sticky posts at the top of the forum. Maybe you have an inadequate power supply? The imporance of this component is often over looked. There is also a calculator there for determining what your system power requirements are.