Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer problems

• Please log in to reply

nana0710

nana0710

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok computer freezes and it is slow for no apparent reason! i have ran adaware, window washer, bug doctor, antivirus and i have defragged, emptied all temp files and cookies but i have had to reboot several times running these programs even with nothing else running. it freezes at different times. i do have 4 different desktops because 4 different people use it but i make sure they empty their cookies and temp files when they get off. i do not know what to do next. my knowledge of computers is very limited. please help me quick!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
In my experience, having three or more user accounts on XP does affect it's usually smooth running unless it's a real beefy model. My son used to have that problem -- freezing and general slowness with four user accounts he set up for himself, each of his two kids, and his wife. I advised him to just have one user account for every one, since when it's made a vast difference. In your case you will probably want one account for yourself and one account for everyone else to use. Two accounts should put less strain on the system than the four you have now. The idea of having separate accounts for everyone, each with their own desktop and settings, is all well and good, but in practice it does affect performance and stability on the average PC.