Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashing During Games

• Please log in to reply

donksboy252

donksboy252

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have been encountering problems when playing my Games - World of Warcraft, Dawn of War, UT2004 etc.

It does not happen during every game but does occur with some regularity.

Basically, the computer just freezes up and even pressing Ctrl-Alt and Delete does not work, and I am forced to restart my computer via the tower itself. When windows XP restarts I receive an error window headed CLI.exe - Application error, which states:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate the application.

At which point the message disappears. Seeing as this problem only occurs it seems through playing games, I am inclined to believe its a Video Card problem (mine is an ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb). I have tried looking around and it appears this error is assosciated somehow with ATI drivers, which i recently uninstalled and replaced with the latest 5.6 catalyst version for Windows XP.

Any help is welcome and greatly appreciated - regards, Adam

Advertisements

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh and I have run Ad-Aware and AVG to check it is not a virus/spyware problem, and also Defragged, thanks

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
It sounds like it had a problem reading form that location in memory. how old is your graphics card? turn off your PC and try to re-insert your graphics card to its slot.

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The card is literally 2 weeks old, will try the re-insertion though, thanks.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Try uninstalling the ATI Software... the CLI.exe is an application that is part of the software. Make sure to have the lastest version of the Video Drivers. You can find the new drivers at:

ATI Video Drivers

Make sure that if you do download the Control Center to make sure the you have Microsoft .Net Framework installed. Make sure that you uninstall using the Add/Remove Programs. Post back if you are still having problems, we made need to go in to the register to fix this. Hope that this helps.

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK I've tried removing the software alltogether and removing then replacing the card itself and installing the latest set of catalyst drivers, I am getting the same error message now every time I load up the PC, right after the welcome screen. I really dont know where to go from here, any more suggestions??

Thanks, Adam.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please post a hijackthis log...we are going to remove the cli.exe from start up (it is not required)

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Here you go

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:41:15, on 27/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ZyXEL\ZyXEL USB ADSL\CnxDslTb.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Corel\Graphics8\Programs\MFIndexer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpabaln.exe
C:\Program Files\BitLord\BitLord.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\AdamT\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnxDslTaskBar] "C:\Program Files\ZyXEL\ZyXEL USB ADSL\CnxDslTb.exe" "ZyXEL\ZyXEL USB ADSL"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AltnetPointsManager] c:\program files\altnet\points manager\points manager.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ATI CATALYST System Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Corel MEDIA FOLDERS INDEXER 8.LNK = C:\Corel\Graphics8\Programs\MFIndexer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: GStartup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\GMT\GMT.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.co...ad/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {C5E28B9D-0A68-4B50-94E9-E8F6B4697514} (NsvPlayX Control) - http://www.nullsoft....ayx_vp3_mp3.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1A7DCC73-540D-4B90-B079-3C9D4949A071}: NameServer = 195.184.228.6 195.184.228.7
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{1A7DCC73-540D-4B90-B079-3C9D4949A071}: NameServer = 195.184.228.6 195.184.228.7
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgupsvc.exe

Hope this helps, thanks.

By the way, if we do remove the cli application from my startup registry, does this necessarily mean my crash problems will be solved, again, thanks for your time, Adam.

Edited by donksboy252, 27 June 2005 - 10:44 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
check the following, and hit fix

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime

--------------------------

NOTE: I also see at least two possible malware programs

gmt.exe
and
pointsmanager

if you do not know what these are please follow the link to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok the cli.exe application is no longer trying to initialize on startup, hopefully this means I can enjoy hassle free gaming?

Thanks again for all your time and help, I will report if I encounter any further related problems, this site rocks!!

Edited by donksboy252, 27 June 2005 - 05:59 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go to the following site

http://www.ngohq.com...t&dwn_cat_id=14

and download

Radeon Omega Driver 2.6.12

go to

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

download driver cleaner

Then go add remove control panel and remove ati drivers -- could be as many as three different entries.

Do not reboot until all three are removed, even if prompted

Now reboot into safe mode....tap the f8 key during memory count up and you will get a start up menu.

in safe mode, run driver cleaner and select all ati entries and clean

when complete, boot again into normal mode...ignore windows found new hardware.

Insteal the omegadrivers above

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK I have completed the steps you recommended, installed the omega drivers etc, just wondering, from now on should I download all the latest drivers from this stie when they are realeased, or the latest catalyst drivers direct from ATI??

Thanks, Adam.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that depends, did it fix the problem :tazz:

The omegadrivers are catalyst drivers, only tweaked for better stability. In fact, the author is a catalyst beta tester and well reguarded by ati.

I use them almost exclusively, so, yes, if things are working, use these, or download the atis that do not include the enhanced control panel.