Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Private network

• Please log in to reply

eliezer

eliezer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have to computers computer A and computer B, i have multiple accounts on both. Is it possible to have sharing on only 2 of those accounts. For example A shares to B and B shares to A only on one account on each of the computers.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
if you are in a workgroup it is a bit hard, there isn't a centrlised authentication server to authenticate you on accessing these shares.

your other option is to lock your shared folders with a password but you need a 3rd party software for that.

eliezer

eliezer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
any suggestions for free 3rd party software?... are there any that will only be useable on my account?

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I wanted to know this answer also so i would know basically. The sharing option on a folder or a file is not very useful since its setup for novice i believe. I was searching through the Xp help support and i found that you can switch to more of an advanced sharing and security option. I do not have a network at my house so Im not able to try this out, so sorry if this doesn't work. PLEASE let me know if this does.

If you go to control panel--->folder options-->view. There is an option called "use simple file sharting (recommended). If you uncheck that option and click ok, it will give you more security options on sharing i believe. Again, i dont know if this will work or not, but its worth a try. Let me know if this will work please.....

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
In XP Pro you can uncheck simple file sharing, but I don't think you have the option in XP Home.

Are you using XP Home or Professional Eliezer?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I had someone i know that has xp home check to see if they have that option and they said they didn't have that option....

Edited by derek2005, 01 July 2005 - 03:55 PM.

eliezer

eliezer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
XP Home with SP2