Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Colourful but seriously upsetting display issue!

• Please log in to reply

Chris Syncratic

Chris Syncratic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Just wondering if any of you guys can help me!

A couple of weeks ago my computer started playing up, symptoms were:

-complete freezing after about 2hours
-freezing with crazy coloured lines
-turning itself off
-and most worryingly not turning back on! It would either turn on, load up part way and turn off, turn on and not even get to the bios, just sit there with the fan spinning or turn on and beep incessantly at me. The only way of resolving this would be to unplug it and leave it for a very long time, then it would boot up and be fine for about an hour before the symptoms started all over.

After a panicked phone call to a friend he advised me that the freezing and nasty coloured lines sounded like a graphics card related problem, and on closer inspection I found my graphics card fan had given up and died.
At least I knew wot the problem was now so replaced the fan and my computer started working fine!…..sweet! But not for long! Soon all the problems started coming back with a vengeance!

Convinced my graphics card had been fried a little due to overheating with the fan not working, I invested in a new one, expensive but necessary I thought, and hey...a lesson learned to peer in and check things out once in a while.. I put it in successfully a few days ago and same story, everything worked fine until yesterday when I came back into my room and the dreaded psychedelic mesh of colour had engulfed my monitor yet again! After a restart, it’ll be ok for a bit until coloured lines and boxes will creep onto the screen and within about 5mins take over. If I restart immediately it will sometimes go back to not turning on at all.

The only difference now is that it rarely frezezes any more or restarts itself, and is alot more colourful in in it's demise, I can hear my comp is chugging along fine, but I can't see anything through this crazy rainbow sandstorm

I did a search on the forums for this problem and found one other thread that suggested uninstalling and re-installing the drivers incase the old drivers were interfering with the new card. I have done this and still my computer sits like a lumpy expensive kaleidoscope, and that’s if it manages to get through bios.

Please help dudes, I’m really at a loss!

Thanks ever so much,

Chris.

:tazz:

Oh, my specs are:

MSI KT6 Delta motherboard, 2.7ghz AMD athlon processor
A gig of ram
GeXcube Radeon 9600xt graphics card (the one I took out)
Sapphire Radeon 9600xt graphics card (the one I just put in)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you checked the system & cpu temps at all?

Chris Syncratic

Chris Syncratic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Did have an idea it could be overheating wen stuff started going bad so downloaded motherboard moniter and kept an eye on the temp, not really sure what the average temp should be but it never went over about 52 celsius, put in my spec and no alarms went off either so it seemed all good.

I would have a check now to let you know how it's doin but I can't actually have the puter on long enough for me to see anything before the crazy mesh takes it's toll.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

2.7ghz AMD athlon processor

I'll assume you hit the wrong key when you were typing the above. Whats the processor and please be real specific.

:tazz:

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
knowing AMD ittl prolly be like 2.69800743221gigs.
it also might be the card slot wether its AGP or PCI-E. does the mb have built in graphics? if not, get into bios and find where teh graphics output is and change it to PCI, then find a cheap pci g-card and try that. this could be a tough one...
Nixx

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

knowing AMD

:tazz: ;) ;) :help: :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah: :tazz: :beer: :beer: ;) ;) ;) :)

nixx - can you name me a 2.7MHz AMD processor? OK, how about 2.69800743221MHz?

Now you've got the idea .............

:)

Edited by Rockster2U, 27 June 2005 - 03:04 AM.