Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player Freezes

• Please log in to reply

Rob06

Rob06

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Any media player freezes whenever i try to play a video/movie file, I tired downloading divx player, and that does the same thing, please help..btw I'm using Windows XP Pro SP 2

Advertisements

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I am also using a geforce 6200 video card

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Please Help

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi Rob06,
Did you download the bundle with player and codecs:-
DivX Bundle

Also Try this:-Koepi's XviD Codec v1.0.3

Make sure that you uninstall any other CODEC PACKS that you may have previously installed and reboot your PC between each individual codec installation to avoid further conflicts.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I did d/l the bundle but all of my media players do that including windows media player when I try to play a movie/video file

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
It has been doing this since I reformatted my computer which was a couple of weeks ago and I believe it happened maybe as a result of installing Service Pack 2 which I installed right after I reformatted my computer and got all the necessary programs on it, but I'm not sure, and as I said, it did this in windows media player also.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
up, please help

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Have you tried updating your video cards drivers??

I had to do that after updating to SP2. When you installed SP2 it is possible that you could have also installed Microsoft DirectX 9.0c. If you have'nt done so already, you may be needing the Latest nVIDIA Drivers:
Take a look HERE.
They have added support for your video card and Microsoft DirectX 9.0c. Give that a try and if the problem persists then I still have a few tricks up my sleave. Ohh... and exactly what kind/s of video files are you trying to play eg. .avi,.mpg,.wmv,.mov ??? cause the problem could be with how the movie was encoded then if so, you may be needing a few fixes and patches (eg. divX anti-freeze, smr patch) for your codecs to get around the problems, but we'll discuss that later. ;)
Please let me know how you go so that I can get a better understanding at what is going on. I've noticed a lot of people have trouble with video playback and these are problems that I solve quite fast by keeping everything updated and installed correctly. Mind you... Ive done alot of video encoding and have had to learn just how tricky these little SOB ;) codecs can be. It's just a matter of going through it all and isolating the problem then fixing it :tazz:

Willow :help:

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'll try that tomorrow as well as updating my codecs because my cable internet has been down because my isp is a piece of a crap...

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
well thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted...hopefully tomorrow I will have the isp problem fixed also and I can update everything.

Advertisements

Mulak

Mulak

• Pip
  • 2 posts
its happen to me a few days ago... the solution is to reinstall whatever window system you got... probably cuase u might lost some file in ur computer and needs it back again

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
;) Bad suggestion Mulak,
Rob only formatted a couple of weeks ago and he would only just hit the same snag if he did that again now. These things are usually Codec related considering how much video playback relies on them :tazz: PLEASE dont waste your time formatting over this just yet Rob, like I was saying before... you may need one of the above mentioned patches or fixes.
(Here's an eg. Some video files may require you to install mpeg43fix, the reason for this is that the later released driver can have problems with playing .avi files encoded with MPEG4, or you may need the Indeo Video Codec etc... It really depends on what your movies were encoded with).

Willow ;)

Edited by willow28, 06 July 2005 - 11:32 AM.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Where may I get some of these fixes/patches at?

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I tried d/ling codecs from <icrosft.com, and it still does the same thing...I also trued using quicktime and yet again....the same thing happened...

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hey there,

Have a look >>HERE<<. You'll find heaps of codecs there. Just read up on what all those codecs do.

I would recommend looking at these first:

Ogg DirectShow Filters
Microsoft MPEG-4 V1/2/3 VKI Codec
3ivx D4
Ligos Indeo Codec
FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder

But PLEASE do read carefully and try to match the codecs fix to the problem that you are having. Make sure that you install your codecs seperatly with a reboot in between each. After each reboot check to see if you can play your files (this way you {hopefully} wont need install too many codecs).

Willow :tazz:

Edited by willow28, 08 July 2005 - 10:08 PM.