Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player Freezes

• Please log in to reply

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Well if you know where device manager is... then you should be able to fix your problem easily.

GOOOOD LUCK!!

I tried completely deleting the video drivers and I used driver cleaner 3, but it still doesn't work...I don't know what to do because as he said it probably isn't codec related because it does it in EVERY media player, no matter what it is.

I never asked you to uninstall your Drivers(even though you should before updating them) I only suggested you updating your Nvidia Drivers. The updated drivers for your card are spose to be more stable with SP2 installed. And as for the Codecs... If you keep thinking like that then you WILL find that the problem occurs in all media players.

Edited by willow28, 13 July 2005 - 01:26 AM.

Advertisements

wyndorf

wyndorf

• Pip
  • 7 posts
well, first i want to say i'm not stupid and i'm not a noob about computers. Maybe my english is not so good and make a little confussion but I write in this forum because i have the same problem that Rob06. My computer crashes when i try to watch a video and the codecs aren't problem. I know what are each kind of video and when the media player have the codec the program tries to download for the web, but this is not the case. the computer crashes: you can't move the mouse and the only thing you can do is press reset.
I also tried with a lot of nvidia drivers: 56.72,61.77,71.84,71.89,76.44 (the cdrom that came with the card) and the last 77.72... and it didnt work, always the same answer: a crash of the system. The 71.84+71.89's drivers even didnt recognize the card.
Maybe a compability problem with the motherboard? We both have the same (asus a7v8x-x).
Sadly, i think i'm gonna change the card for a 5500 if i can't find a solution

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Well as I said you can get the videos to work, however, in order to do this, you have to turn down your video acceleration, then it works.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I have the same problem, on a 6600TD, with a Gigabyte 7-XXX MB, I know its something to do with the graphics card, because i had none of this on my FX 5200. Other the 77.72 Drivers have bugs in them OR something is wrongly configured. I have an AGP card, and i have only seen this problem occur on AGP cards not at all on PCI-E Cards, So do you all have AGP cards (The people with the problem)??

I am not a n00b when it comes to PCs, i do heavy programming and scripting (including OpenGL)...

-Zac

vitasoy

vitasoy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
yes my 6600 is AGP

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Mine is also AGP

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Hmm, what does that mean then...

I really want to be able to watch movies... :tazz:

We must find a solution, or contact nVidia (i highly doubt that will do anything).

Edited by ratmilk, 15 July 2005 - 02:50 AM.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
well as I said turn down your acceleration to watch movies, I turn mine down and my movies don't freeze up, it's kind of inconvenient though

Edited by Rob06, 15 July 2005 - 12:51 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
i started having a similar issue with my work laptop. Turns out is was the intalltion of symantec anitivirus 10 (corp). wether is was our config or just the software itself it was bloated. Just reloaded my system to resolve the issue. even after a manual removal it was still pretty messed up.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

i started having a similar issue with my work laptop.  Turns out is was the intalltion of symantec anitivirus 10 (corp).  wether is was our config or just the software itself it was bloated.  Just reloaded my system to resolve the issue.  even after a manual removal it was still pretty messed up.

View Post

I don't think that is the problem, i tried to run videos on Windows XP + Drivers, thats it, and also some codecs (XVid).

I think there is a bug with the nVidia drivers, for the N66 AGP chipset.

Advertisements

vitasoy

vitasoy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah I also think its a problem with the newest nvidia drivers

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yep, I agree Ratmilk. Just happen to have similar symtoms. just throughing full on the fire.

Seriously if you change from 8x to 4x on the agp slot that may fix your issues. and it should not impact gaming performance to much.

starjax

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I have contacted, Gigabyte AUS (who make my card) Tech support, telling them of the issues and of this forum topic.

I also find the drivers EXTREMLY unstable, i have been crashing on half-life many times...

Im going to try install the drivers that came with my card...

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
w00t, FOUND IT!!!!!

The 77.72 drivers have serious issues, as we can see. So i installed my drivers off my CD (71.25). And it worked, my graphics card is now stable and doesn't crash anymore, and plays videos. I suggest that you don't use the 77.72 drivers but instead install your 71.25 or other default drivers.

I will try to notify nVidia of this, but they may just ignore it (will ignore it).

;) anyway, thanks for your help people :tazz:

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
oh wyndorf, i think your card may just be faulty...