Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Browsers can't get out

• Please log in to reply

c0ffeehead

c0ffeehead

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, not sure what's going on. My PC running ME is working fine with the exception that I can't get online with any browser. I usually run Mozilla, no matter which browser I choose I get the “can’t display page check your network settings” page. I spent many hours with my ISP folks just to have them tell me I’m having a “winsock” error and that they can’t help from here on in. I’m not sure what that is. My home network is fine because I brought home a laptop from work, Macintosh running OS X, and I can get to guys. So that to me tells me that the issue is on the PC.
I ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Cwshredder and deleted what it found. I update NAV defs every Friday so they are current as of the issue. I can ping the IP address of www.apple.com so I know I’m on network.
Not sure what to do, looking for some help to get me going.
c0ffeehead

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
If you do infact have a winsock problem it can be fixed by downloading and installing this for ME.

http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=21

c0ffeehead

c0ffeehead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:
You did it! Thanks so much! I ran the file you suggested and all is well, so I guess it is safe to assume it was a winsock error.
Thanks again
c0ffeehead

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
No Problem, Glad your all fixed up and online once again. :tazz: