Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

booting with xp

• Please log in to reply

lindab220

lindab220

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
is it possible for me to install xp home on an external hd and boot to it without having anything installed on the actuall pc?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
depends on your system....only if it supports booting to an external device.

lindab220

lindab220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok i'm pretty sure it does, but would i have a problem with drivers not being installed?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no they would install to the external device.....very few systems currently allow booting to external devices unless they are relatively new

lindab220

lindab220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok thanks a lot, but how would i get xp onto the external drive in the first place?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the same way you would get it on a drive.

set your machine up so that the external device is bootable (frist device)....insert windows xp cd (which is bootable), boot computer

when windows setup asks where you want it installed, direct it to that drive.

are you even certain this device is bootable

lindab220

lindab220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
well when i insert the installation cd and hit f10 for booting options it gives me four options: 1. from cd 2. from the hard drive 3. from and external device 4. from lan
i'm not sure but i think my hd is busted, which is why i'm trying to boot from an external, because if i can do that, then it guarentees it's my hd that's the problem.
right now i have my external connected to a different pc that works, so can i install windows from the other computer (not damaging or erasing it) and then connect the hd to the one that doesn't work and boot from it?

Edited by lindab220, 27 June 2005 - 10:29 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that will not work on windows xp...it is very harddware sensitive and moving a harddrive from one pc to another will not work (if you want it to boot).

Additionally, both motherboards must allow booting from an external device for you to even contemplate it.

Let's back WAY UP.

You've got a computer that does not work and you suspect harddrive....why.

lindab220

lindab220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
because it won't let me format and reinstall windows. right now it doesn't do anything, windows doesn't start. i've tried formating but it stops in the middle and says it can't complete the format

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
does this system have a floppy

Advertisements

lindab220

lindab220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
no...it's a gateway laptop too, if that's useful

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
using windows setup, did you try rmeoving the existing partition?

lindab220

lindab220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yep and then i try formating, but to no avail

:edit: i understand that it could be a number of problems, but i really think it's the hard drive that has a bad sector or something. the problem is i don't want to buy a new hd just to see that it doesn't work and not be able to return it...but i don't want to spend 100 bucks getting diagnostics run on it just to find out that is was the hd. that's why i'm exploring other possibilities first :edit:

Edited by lindab220, 27 June 2005 - 11:16 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
gateway should have included a diagnostic disk with the laptop---can you find it?

lindab220

lindab220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
no it didn't come with one....is there anywhere i can download one for free? it'd have to be self booting