Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help....I'm In [bleep]!

• Please log in to reply

diegovenpronto

diegovenpronto

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been fighting with my pc for over 4 days now....just about constantly! It was acting very VERY lethargic so I decided to re-install Windows ME...(don't ask me why I had this bright idea!) So I was in the process of copying files from the install CD to my C drive about 65% done and I received this error message: "Error occurred in your application. SUWIN caused a General Production Fault in module VERX.dll at 0002:24AE. If you choose ignore you should save your work in a new file. If you choose close, your application will terminate." (Windows support says this error occurrs when trying to reinstall ME while having windows media player 9 installed on your hard drive.....I tried to remove it according to them and also by just deleting it....DOES NOT WORK or fix the problem!) When I tried to ignore the error message wouldn't go away so you really have to choose terminate........Then after much sweat on my part I finally get it to boot up in Normal mode only to receive the following error messages: "RUNDLL.....Error loading powrprof.dll, one of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found" The same message pops up with setuplib.dll instead of powrprof.dll. ...........YES THERE IS MORE!! Any program or application I attempt to run immediately following startup gives me this error: "Warning your system's virtual memory is dangerously low, please quit one or more tasks before opening this application" So I hit ctrl-alt-del and find I have at least 100 background tasks running....things I've never heard of....I have the BACKDOOR.ABEBOT..........WONDERFUL!! I have the instructions to remove it however.....I need to install my Norton Internet Security and of course....I receive the following message during the final setup/data transfer: "Error loading luinsdll probably due to the fact that the local machine is missinga supporting dll file..OLEACC.DLL" I also have home search assistent, search extender, search assistant, shopping wizard, among other things.....I have taken down the info from this site on removal but with out being able to install Norton....I can't do anything......but get more and more frustrated.........I have tried several different attempts to extract those DLL files unsuccessfully.........PLEASE HELP ME....I AM GOING NUTS....AND I AM ABOUT 5 SECONDS FROM RIPPING THE DARN THING FROM THE WALL, TAKING IT INTO THE STREET AND DROP-KICKING IT INTO OBLIVION!.........Thank you!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your first few sentences didn't mention formatting the drive prior to re-installing Me. Me is not particularly stable, but it's setup will go more smoothly if it does not encounter any existing files left on the target drive. In fact, that applies to all versions of Windows as a rule. Wipe the partition clean first (format) then try installing Me again.

diegovenpronto

diegovenpronto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok........How do I format the drive? Sorry...I thought I was pretty computer literate until you mention formatting the drive....I have no idea how to do that...Thank you.....

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Ok........How do I format the drive?  Sorry...I thought I was pretty computer literate until you mention formatting the drive....I have no idea how to do that...Thank you.....

View Post

If you go here

www.bootdisks.com or

www.allbootdisks.com

and get a windows 98 (not ME, because the Me disk doesn't have all you need) and just follow the basic instructions for formatting the disk in the Win98 tutorial above, you should't have any problem. ME and 98 use the same file system. I take it you have your installation disk and ProductKey?

Edited by Tyger, 08 July 2005 - 10:00 PM.

diegovenpronto

diegovenpronto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I do have my boot disk (that's the installation disk right?? I'm thinking so!) and my product key however, its the Upgrade disk for Win 98 and I do not have my "quick restore" disk or a Win 98 boot disk......Will this be a problem??? I borrowed Win XP from a friend but there is the activation issue with that....only one user....one PC unless its part of a LAN, can use that disk. (you knew that though didn't you!! :tazz:) Anyway....thank you very much for the help....I'm all over the 2 sites you gave me....THANK YOU....a million times!!
Teresa

Edited by diegovenpronto, 09 July 2005 - 09:59 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Yes, I do have my boot disk (that's the installation disk right??  I'm thinking so!) and my product key however, its the Upgrade disk for Win 98 and I do not have my "quick restore" disk or a Win 98 boot disk......Will this be a problem???  I borrowed Win XP from a friend but there is the activation issue with that....only one user....one PC unless its part of a LAN, can use that disk.  (you knew that though didn't you!!  :tazz:)  Anyway....thank you very much for the help....I'm all over the 2 sites you gave me....THANK YOU....a million times!!
Teresa

View Post

If you only have the ME upgrade from win98 you'll need to install win98 first to use it. And no, the boot disk is a 3.5in floppy that lets you boot up the computer in ms_dos mode to do any partitioning and formatting that needs to be done.

diegovenpronto

diegovenpronto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i do have the boot disk.........I get it now.

diegovenpronto

diegovenpronto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So i successfully reformatted my hard drive and downloaded the win 98se boot disk.......however my floppy drive on the computer i am using does not work so i put the win 98se file on a CD-Rom.....now I can't get my problematic computer to realize i have the neccessary win98 files on this darn CD!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!