Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant delete desktop icon

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Recently bought a music recording studio programme only to find out after installing that i had been sold a pirate copy. As you need a lot of technical support from the programs makers , i decided to uninstall the programme altogether and go and buy the thing properly from a shop. But unfortunatly i cant delete the desktop shortcut. It wasnt deleted when i un-installed the program, and it refuses to go. I keep getting an error message saying that
"CANNOT FIND SPECIFIED FILE- WORLDC~.1OVW "
Can anyone help, as far as i can gather, its something to do with JAVA application of some sort.

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Try using a separate uninstaller program (Try Your Uninstaller 2004) to get rid of any loose ends of the program.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
there are numerous free file shredders out there. tryone and see if it removes it.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have tried the "uninstaller " programme, and i agree, its much better than the add /remove on xp. However, it didnt remove the icon.
I have deleted everything to do with this progam, but still the desktop icon wont go. What sort of file shredder are you recomending ??? and more to the point , how easy are they to use, and what chance is there of causing permenant damage , accidently???
KEV.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try booting into Safe Mode and removing it that way!!

Murray

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
For some reason i cant get the comp to reboot in safe mode. whenever i press f8, the screen comes up stuck on " START WINDOWS NORMALLY" , i cant do anything else as the screen is frozen. i have to reboot again to let it start normally.
have downloaded a file shredder ( mutilate ), and have found the files that need to be deleted, along with some subfolders, but the shreddER says "CANT FIND SPECIFIED PATH " OR "CANNOT DELETE SPECIFIED FOLDER ".
ANY IDEAS. GETTING CHEESED OFF NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like you may have picked up something else along with the download..

Take a look at THIS THREAD and follow their instructions exactly..

When you are finished, post an HJT log in the Malware Forum (there is a link in my signature)..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 27 June 2005 - 11:21 AM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
SUCCESS AT LAST,,,,,,,,,, after repeatedly trying the file shredder and "your uninstaller" programs, time after time, the competition was won by,,,,,,,,,
" YOUR UNINSTALLER 2004 ".
Dont know why it worked on this particular occassion, but it did, and very well indeed. There is not a trace of the program anywhere.
As for the not being able to reboot in safe mode, and the " invalid boot. ini file" error message---- i think i will leave it till tomorrow before following the hjt thread.
Not being cocky or foolish, its just that this bloody computer has a mind of its own, and has a habit of causing itself problems, and then rectifing the problems itself , just when you dont expect it. Usually just after giving in and posting a thread on here. I have run spybot and adaware and both come up clean, as does my norton antivirus, so if this boot error persists, its probably something i have done rather than something more sinister (i hope ).
Once again, thanks to all for your advice, but especially for the uninstaller advice. Fantastic, Many thanks,
KEV.