Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Envy 24 Sound - Windows Won't Let it Through!

• Please log in to reply

TWDesigns

TWDesigns

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a new one to me and frankly it's driving me nutz.

Yesterday I noticed my center, rear and sub wasnt working when I started Winamp. Same happened when I used Media Player and played a few games. I reloaded the drivers and tried updated drivers. I also formated and installed Windows XP 64 and downloaded the working drivers for that. SAME PROBLEM!

Here's the kicker part..... If I click on each speaker in the Audio Center provided with Envy each speaker tests and works fine! I just can't get anything in Windows to play sounds through anything other than the 2 front speakers.

I set windows to use 5.1, surround and a few others trying to figure out what the problem is. Like I said they TEST fine but windows is refusing to use anyting other than the fronts. Suggestions!
:tazz:

Thanks in advance....

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, the application has to provide the support for that. For example, load halflife two and walk down a corridor,,,you will hear sounds coming from behind, left, right, the speakers will work to create the illusion of surround sound.

windows is not trying to create this illusion, and doesn't provide support for it, so you get nothing from those speakers

It's like having surround sound home theater....play anything on tv and all comes out two speakers...put in star wars and suddenly tie fighters are flying past you and you hear the sound behind you

TWDesigns

TWDesigns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply but I don't think thats it =/

That's just my problem I used to could hear objects going to my rear speakers like foot steps in counterstrike and etc. Now I don't. ANy other suggestions?

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, you didn't say that....I thought you meant no windows beeps and boops

remove your audio devices in device manager and resintall

TWDesigns

TWDesigns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hehe! I've tried that a few times. But haven't tried since I reformated earlier. Will give that a go and see what happens.