Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Problems

• Please log in to reply

Rushing Zephyr

Rushing Zephyr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I bought a new computer and everythings great but the modem it came with isn't exactly functioning properly. It's a standard 56k v.92 fax modem with voice but the problem is that it always boots me off the internet and has very unstable connections. I think this may be due to the modem type I have it set too. My modem type was by default set to
Hayes Compatible (error correcting)
and I'm not sure which one would be best to set it to. It is an Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem... so, hem, what modem type should I set it too? Is there a program that will find out for me, or can you guys give me a good guess?

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I'd suggest you install Everest and let it tell you waht the modem is and then use Everest to link for the latest drivers. After you've downloaded the drivers, uninstall your modem (remove it from the system in the control panel), reboot and let Windows detect it but manually install your freshly downloaded drivers. If you still have a problem repeat the removal but then also physically remove it from your machine and reboot without it, then shutdown and reinstall it physically, then boot back up and repeat the manual driver installation when its redetected. If still problems - replace it - its a $10 part.

:tazz: