Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emachines Corrupted Boot

• Please log in to reply

Andrew H

Andrew H

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My problem is similar to the one in this thread http://www.geekstogo...up_-t34618.html

Whenever I try to boot up my PC it says

MISSING FILE \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

and just hangs there. I can't try most of the internet methods because my computer is an OEM eMachines with a custom repair disk thing. I can access a command prompt with the CD but it flashes A: instead of C: and the commands I've tried don't work right. any help would be appreciated greatly.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
DOWNLOAD THIS:

http://www.tweakxp.c...icle153115.aspx

Make a cd from the iso, reboot your pc with it, then follow

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

you need only focus on the

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

part

Andrew H

Andrew H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks very much, I'll try it and tell you how it goes after

one question though will it work with an OEM? I heard you can mess stuff up with one and get locked out of your PC.

Edited by Andrew H, 26 June 2005 - 08:13 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
aren't you already locked out of your PC?

The above listed procedure is successful--sometimes.

What do you want to achive, ultimately?

Andrew H

Andrew H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
basically I need to get the PC to boot up. it just says 'missing whatever' and doesn't work. what I meant about locked out is the microsoft page says it resets passwords and I might not be able to get into windows?

I just tried the boot disk, it didn't boot so maybe I didn't burn it right. Any ideas?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you copied the file to a disk, and burned it, that is not what you do with an ISO image.

there is a special process, different for each program.

The key is you are burning and IMAGE not a file

Check your burning software help file.

If you are successful in restoring the corrupted registry you will not change your password.

there is no guarantee that process works...i find it works about half the time.

Andrew H

Andrew H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
not sure if you're still on but I burned the CD with Nero this time, set to image file, it burned alright but verification failed and when I put it in the computer it did read it but said 'boot failed insert system disk and press enter' so I don't think the boot disk will work :tazz: I really hope I don't need a new hard drive because of this...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what is the OS and service pack you are using right now to burn files?

Andrew H

Andrew H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
only computer I have to burn with is a Windows ME and I don't know what service pack. does the OS I burn with really make a difference?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, but I was going to point you toward a program to use that I am familiar with---I do not have nero, so I cannot tell you how to do it with that program.

That error, though, usually means bad media--try another cd.

Advertisements

Andrew H

Andrew H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
do you mean another CD or another brand? I'm using memorex CD-Rs that work fine for games and music so I doubt the brand is the problem. What program do you use to burn?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I meant another cd---cds warp...

At the moment I am using the xp powertoy for iso burning as it is the easiest tool there is (right click file, choose BURN)

But that only works for XP

Andrew H

Andrew H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the CD I used was brand new right off the spindle though, so I don't think that was the problem. this is so confusing...should I just wait until tomorrow and call emachines tech support and ask them for help?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It does not matter. Are you saying you have never had a bad cd? Wow, that's incredibly lucky. Quality control is crap these days....burn another one...it will cost you less than 5 cents

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and burn at a slower speed