Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton AnitVirus

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have Norton Avitvirus 2005 an I get this error message evey time that I start my computer it says "Norton dose not suport the repare feature: uninstall and reinstall"

I did the ctrl+Alt+Delete and up comes that windows task manager and identifyed that the prosess that was causeing this was ccapp.exe. I understant that this is that file that prevents virus from geting into the computer when you are on the web, looking at e-mail etc. shoud I uninstall Norton and reinstall it or would this be a waist of time and not work, or is there some other meathod of fixing the problem.

all segestion very welcome because I am scared that as always happens little thing lead to bigger things. :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try this:
http://service1.syma...003010811511306

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
what does that do, I'm not sure what to do. I read through the pages and that only applies to versions up to 2004, I have norton antivirus 2005 and those things were all there, im still confused
they have been slowing down, but I think thats b/c I hibernate my computer and dont usually restart it much.
please help

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, shut down your pc. restart in safe mode. look for the hiberfil.sys file in the root of c:\

delete it.

reboot the pc.

hibernate is meant as a failsafe. like if your batter runs out on your laptop for example. It prevents you from loosing data. Using it constantly introduces problems. I have seens operating systems become corrupt. In the extreme circumstance I have had a system loose all of its data and even had to replace a hdd on another one as well.

If this is a desktop pc, just leave the system on and use a screensaver. If this is a laptop do the same. if you carry it around a lot then use "standby" mode instead.

so how to fix your problem....
install http://support.micro...n-us;290301]msi cleanup utility[/URL] launch program and find norton antivirus. highlight and remove.

now just restall your application.

as an alternative symantec makes a removal tool: removal tool here

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You are putting another topic in mine that dose not realy help me to solve what is annoying me. I get the message "norton antivirus dose not suport the repare featuer uninstall and reinstall" should I uninstall norton antivirus and then reinstall it? would this remove the error message? if not what other course of action do I take. I allways shut my computer down properly do that is not the cause.

I do not what a miner problem to get worse and be imposible to fix so can you help me now, please. :tazz:

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
cool it steve,
follow these steps.
1.check for a folder named Quarantine in the location
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus
if you find one leave and got to next step.if you don't you need to create a new folder named Quarantine
In the same way,check for the folders Incoming and Portal in the location C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine
If you find them,go on to the next section or create the two folders in the location.
2.If nothing works,try disabling the office plugin feature in NAV options.
open NAV 2005.
click options.
click miscallaneous on the left pane
uncheck enable office plugin in the right pane.
click ok.

se if this helps you and post!

Here is the exact KB article for your error mesage.
http://service1.syma...src=bar_sch_nam
:tazz:

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
does hibernating my computer have any effect on this, if so should I go into safe mode and delete hiberfil.sys

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I would never hibernate my computer it is a waste of time and is uses up disk space equal to the size of your RAM. but do not delete that file. to remove hibernation go to Control panel/power options and then press the hibernation Tab and turn it off if you want to. Good luck.