Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Timing and latency

• Please log in to reply

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am looking to buy new ram, and want to know what the timing (three or four numbers) and latency (one decimal number) mean, thanx. Also, what is the difference between unbuffered and registered

Edited by oldmantaggie, 26 June 2005 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

ernieh

ernieh

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i dont know what the timing and the regiestered thing means but the latency is how many clock cycles i takes for the RAM to responed to a request of information from the cpu most of the time it is 2.5. if your cpu has a front side bus of 1 GHz it would take 2.5 microseconeds for the ram to responed. the lower the latency the better

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
A specification of 2-3-2-6-1T, translates to:
2 - CAS (Column Address Strobe Latency) = CL (Cycle Length)
3 - TRCD (RAS to CAS delay)
2 - TRP (RAS Precharge)
6 - TRAS (Active to Precharge)
1T - Command Rate

:tazz:

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Registered RAM - More expensive, only used on socket 940 motherboards because it can't use unbuffered. Not any better then unbuffered

Unbuffered RAM - Exact same thing as registered RAM, only less expensive and compatible with all motherboards exept socket 940 as mentioned above.

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey, thanks for your help you guys :tazz:
So with the timings, i want as low as possible for all numbers?

Also, what is the difference between timings that have 3 #'s and timings that have 4 #'s? What does it mean if the timing does not have T1 on it?

Edited by oldmantaggie, 28 June 2005 - 04:24 PM.

Pocketknifesown

Pocketknifesown

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Voltage is also important when talking about timings it might run 2-2-2-5 but at 3.2 volts and youre mobo might only go up to 2.8 volts. Im not sure on this could someone clarify please?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Generally speaking yes, but this whole subject can become very confusing very quickly - brings out the best of "a little knowledge is dangerous".

I'd suggest you head over here and read to your heart's content.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Pocketknifesown:

Generally speaking, specific memory is set to run at a specific default voltage. Most manufacturers of DDR recommend 2.5, 2.6 or 2.7 volts. One can often extract some better than default memory bus speeds and may have to increase the voltage to get there while still maintaing stability. It goes without saying that any memory that is run must be compatable with the board and voltage would be one of many considerations.