Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply

dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Computer description:
some generic ram from my old computer. DDR333 512mb. I will upgrade
this when I find the ram I want.
amd 64 3000+
asus a8n-e
WD SATA 200 gig hard drive
SilenX 520W PSU
BFG 6600GT OC video card
Antec P160 case. The case doesn't come with a speaker believe it or
not so I stole one from my current computer.

I bought a new computer, put the whole thing together, hit the power button aaaaaand.... the fans turned on, the pretty blue lights on my case and video card, and that's it. My monitor didn't power up, no beeping, no sounds like it's running from the HD from what I can tell. I tried turning it off and it just stayed on. Held the power button down, nothing. Tried reset, nothing. So I pulled the cord. That's the only thing that seems to turn this computer off.

Now here's what I've tried so far:
-reset CMOS, as per your description on your website
-removed everything and put it back
-removed everything but the PSU, CPU, GPU, and HD from the motherboard and rebooted.
-checked the orientation of the cord from the power and reset button and pulled out the reset button cord in case it was jammed or something, restarted, same thing.
-pulled out the video card (GPU) and restarted to see if it beeped. No sound
-pulled out the ram and restarted, no beeps
-pulled out both to see if there were any beeps, no beeps..... (checked the speaker, definitely working and plugged in correctly)

I did a search online for this problem and didn't find anybody who got quite the same problem as mine. They usually had beeps at least, especially with no ram or video card plugged in!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
well thats a doosy i would get in touch with your mobo manufacturer for help.

dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
already done. Being asus though.... could take a while! They did actually already answer with a recommendation to replace the psu and see what happens. Or the video card. Unfortunatly I don't have a psu hanging around with the 24 pin connector and I don't have any pci-e compatable computers other than this one I'm building! Argh.... I figured I had licked the no beeps problem when I realised the P160 case didn't come with a speaker, but even after I swapped out the speaker from my old computer I still didn't get any beeps..... :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

From what you described you have tried everthing in this guide if not give it a read to see if anything helps, one thing to note though is the importance of removing the mobo from the case because this computer is acting strangely in that it won't power down the lights and hdd with the use of the case switch. This indicates to me a short and the lack of beeps possiblly a bad mobo but before considering that you should try another video card even a pci card because it is possible the computer is going thru post but you can't see it.

Rick

dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I removed the motherboard from the case yesterday and had the same trouble. I tested the voltage of the psu with a multimeter. 12.39V and 5.09V. I figured that's alright especially since absolutely nothing's plugged in to the psu basically. The video card and hd might not even be drawing any power when connected at this point! Today I'm bringing it in to the place I bought it from. Canada Computers. Hopefully they'll tell me one of the parts are busted and give me a new one. If it is a bad motherboard, that makes 2 out of 3 bad motherboards in my experience! First from gigabyte and now this one maybe. no luck!

Thanks for the help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome, please let us know how you make out

Rick

dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
tada! And all is well with the world.... got a new mobo and now it turns on just fine.

One problem though.... when I install winxp (no service packs), it won't recognize the full size of my 200gig hd. How can I get it to? I'm using an asus a8n-e and a WD sata 200gig hard drive

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well you do need SP1 for drives larger than 137g so download and install the ms critical updates.

Then you will have to run software from your drive manufactuer.

Rick