Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

repairing xp

• Please log in to reply

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I have read that I should reformat my harddrive at least once a year?? My pc is slowing up at times and some programs start up slowly and my internet connection, is intermident to say the least, just lately anyway. I have posted a hijack this log, and am free from spyware etc... Thanks again guys. My win xp is built into the system on a packardbell, so how do I go about a repair of xp on this type of system, I have read the pinned post above, but it doesn't relate to how I think I would have to do it, or would I be best to reformat the whole thing, there isn't much on my pc, so wouldn't take long to back it up, it would be the days of endless downloading of all the crap i have on there lol.

any help is greatly appreciatted.

thanks woody.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reformatting once a year is not as necessary as it once was...maybe if you are a very heavy user who installs and removes a lot of programs, but even then, it's not like windows 9x

As for how, what are your resources? Windows CD?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I don't know where you read that but I would take it with a grain of salt. With win98 you need to defragment your dirve several times a year, but XP does defragmentation as an ongoing process, part of the System Idle process, so you very rarly need to do it with XP. As for formatting, you only do that when you want to make a clean installation and don't mind losing your files and prgrams so it's a last resort for fixing problems.

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
wo that was fast, thanks, the win xp is pre-installed on the pc, so i would have to repair/re-install through xp?? I do install and delete quite a bit, when messing about trying in vain to do stuff, but I just love trying. lol

thanks woody

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
again...the process differs from pc to pc---each oem has their own system for repair/recovery