Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RESETTING A MODEM/ROUTER

• Please log in to reply

CatHamm

CatHamm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have XP with a DLInk wireless router on my desktop. Suddenly, my laptop (which operates on 2000) won't log on. I have notes to myself that say I should Depower the router, then the modem, then repower the modem, then repower the router and turn on the PC. Is this the correct order? Thanks very much.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Doesn't sound like anything wrong with that order. When you say "logon", what exactly are you trying to log on to? Is it your local network? Are you getting an IP address? Is it actually giving you a log on window? More info please.

Greazy Mcgeezy

CatHamm

CatHamm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm just trying to log on to my ISP. I do get a log on window, but it says the network is not available. Thanks for the help.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, if you know the domain name of the network, you should try entering in the information like this: domain\username then enter your password. It would be the short form of your domain more than likely. Say if your domain was msn.com, more than likely you would just use: MSN\username

Greazy Mcgeezy

CatHamm

CatHamm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll try that. Thanks!
c