Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worm32 Virus - Hijack.exe file [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

angels-high

angels-high

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Did a virus scan on my machine Saturday and it found Worm32 Virus in the Hijack.exe file and deleted it.

I downloaded Hijack on Friday......has anyone else noticed this ?? :tazz:

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Angels High,

Guess you dont know how internet and viruses work !!!!!

U can get viruses and worms by just being connected to internet. You need not download anything. It also depends on what you download and from where !!!

So do you want to get your PC cleaned or inform us that Hijack This is infected ????

Edited by tampabelle, 27 June 2005 - 04:52 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Where did you download it from?

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

I was letting you know that Hijack.exe was infected. I downloaded it from the Malware links here as I was on my friends machine.

Is it possible that McAfee was mistaken and saw a trace that it thought was a virus ?

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi angels-high,

We take malware removal very seriously. We do take enough care to try and not spread infections ourselves. :tazz:

We have scanned our copy of Hjiack This file and have found it to be clean.

You may like to know that some of the infections do target such programs and also anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. This makes the removal of infections so much more difficult as the user is not able to use any of these commonly known tools.

Sometimes McAfee detects HijackThis 1.99.1 as a generic worm as it detects the StartupList standalone as an mhtml exploit webpage. However there is no cause for concern because of it.

You may also like to submit the file for scanning at Jotti Scan for greater comfort.

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tampa..

Thanks for info, I reckoned that McAfee was finding this as an issue, I was trying to get confirmation that the Hijack.exe its self was not infected. I have no doubt that everything from this site is checked and cleaned.

AH

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.