Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D-link wireless net work not conecting

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
:tazz: I was conected to a d-link wireless net work untill my computer died because of software. When I reset up my computer I could not connect to the Internet through the net work router. I have given myself since an ip adress that is the same as one on another computer except for that last number

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Unless you have some compelling reason not to, it's usually better to use automatic configuration to find an address. You need to put in the DHCP server addresses of the router and the proxy address. After you're assigned an IP you can later put that in as fixed.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I assinged my own that was as I said the same as the one on the other computer on the Wireless Netework because it would not do so for me. I had no other option if I wanted an IP adress. I also assinged all the other details (with the help of a friend that origanly set up the network). It says that I am conected to the network but I can not recieve any information back from the router no matter what I do.

Any hints at all anyone I am very desperate to conect and would welcome anything that might help. :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Is that the only computer you have connected? It sounds like you may have an encryption protocol working and not allowing you to access. Did your friend set up WEP on your router? If so, does he remember what the settings and keys were? If not, you may need to press the tiny button on the back of the router for at least 15 seconds, that will give it a master reset and you should be able to use the default settings to access it through the web interface.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
There are three computer on the network, two of which are wireless. I know the WEP key that was set in the seting up of the net work, it is the first five letters of one of the other people on my networks e-mail adress (I am useing his computer now). It required this to connect the first time but I have never recived any packets of information from the router.

will the reseting on the router affect the other computers? :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
You should be able to turn off the encryption on all machines, then reset the router, once you get connected again you can reconfigure the WEP. But since you can't communicate, I would recommend turning it off.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I tryed to turn of the encription but could not find out how. please help my to do so I have alredy tryed a few options that did not work. :tazz: