Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM detect question Presario 1600s

• Please log in to reply

holmzie

holmzie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can anyone help. I was misinformed by a memmory company, whom will remail nameless, that my Presario was capable of 'addressing' at least another 256 mb in addition to the 64 mb internally installed. So I bought it, can't take it back, and I want to see if I can find a bios fix or other workaround.

Believe it or not, I loaded XP sp2 SUCCESSSSSFULLLYYY, and it's slow, but works. I figured perhaps XP would dig out the RAM and utilize it, whereas Win '98 wouldnt.

Here's what happenes: THe motherboard does count up to 321 mb during POST. The windows XP sp2 does not see it. Belarc advisor agrees that there is only 64 mb available, but in fact does acknowledge the 256 mb in the second slot.

The Phoenix bios has very little functionality. Compaq was afraid to give us stupid users too many options, so they gave us almost none... and besides, I have heard that there is quite a range of motherboards and revisions for the 1600s and am not sure about which motherboard is in here, as this as it is a factory referb unit.

Yes, the manufacturer origionally stated maximum ram is 192 mb. This unit has an AMD-K6 3D+ processor at 380MHZ. (Aww, I know what you're thinkin'. I'm crazy but your lookin at the result right now, and I have a functioning 'Jersey Shore' laptop!! )

Any ideas out there? (this is my first time on such a forum as this)

tks for yr help, holmzie

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I am assuming the new dimm is PC100 sdram?
If so, then I would suggest that because the system only supports an extra 128MB on top of the original 64MB, that because XP can't address all of the 256MB dimm, it is refusing to address any of it.

Your only option if you can't return the memory may be to swap it for a 128MB dimm, if you can find someone else who has a laptop using PC100 memory which supports this size.