Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup

• Please log in to reply

sweetiepie

sweetiepie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I updated Windows and then got a notice on startup that "You are using the selective startup for troubleshooting your system." I went into msconfig and chose the box for normal startup and restarted.

I don't understand why it goes into selective startup. It is a recurrent problem.

I also get a bar along the top from time to time with the letters "DFT" on it. No clue what this is. I get it in both selective and normal.

I would also like to know how to edit what programs start on startup and how to know which ones to stop.

THANKS,
SP

Edited by sweetiepie, 27 June 2005 - 09:56 AM.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html

sweetiepie

sweetiepie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks!

What's the scoop with the DFT popup?

How about the selective startup?

TIA

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
read THIS first try all the recommended programs. Tell me how your system is going.

Please do not post your HijackThis log in this forum, wait for the GO signal if you are told so.

sweetiepie

sweetiepie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I ran updated version of all of those in the past few days. A few things came up but all were fixable.

Regarding removing items from startup, I think I need a "guide for dummies". I was able to remove some things when that website gave the specific instructions. But there are others I can't figure out how to remove. ie. MoneyAgent, PCHealth, etc.

MoneyAgent N money express.exe
Part of MS Money.
Available via Start -> Programs

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Try StartUp Control Panel. This adds an item called startup to your control Panel. Should be able to disable any startup item here. If not you have a malware infection of some kind. Hope this helps.

sweetiepie

sweetiepie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the link. That was cool. I was able to go through and remove items I didn't want. The only mystery item not listed at castlecops was Stilllmage Monitor.

I still get the DFT bar. It's not like an ad popup. It looks like the start bar on the bottom of the screen, only it appears at the top and just has the letters DFT on it.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
the link provided by starhawk disables the startup there is also the option to delete it; you can also use Spybot S&D > Mode > advance Mode > tools > system Startups > [select the startup item you do not wish to run] > delete.

Ok, this seems to be a tough malware. Try to download Free Trojan Online Scan or Trojan Hunter.

=========================

Have an On-line scan at this sites: Trend Micro or Panda Scan or BitDefender.

REBOOT again.

=========================

We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool HiJackThis, read the short tutorial HERE

Post a log as a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

sweetiepie

sweetiepie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I found what the stilllmage was. Apparently it's stillimage.

http://castlecops.co...ageMonitor.html

The cleaner (trojans) came up clean. I had already run housecall the other day.

Are you sure the DFT bar is caused by malware and not some other setting glitch? Anyway, I posted the HJT log to the malware forum.

sweetiepie

sweetiepie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, I was able to get rid of the DFT bar by right clicking on it and de-selecting the check next to it. No clue what this bar was, but it's gone now!

:tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Thats good that you got rid of it :tazz: . However, its not as good as having a system halfway clean, what we after is you are totally 100% clean and free from malwares. Stay focus on the HJT log you posted at the Malware Removal Forum.