Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing in apps (gfx card?)

• Please log in to reply

faultywiring

faultywiring

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer freezes when i run some programs. IE is freezes when i play BF2, either during aloading a map or even in the intro videos, freezes when i go into the Catylst control center for my ATI x800 XT (which i bought from e-bay)

I also have recently intalled a new processor an motherboard, but if those were the problems, I'd imagine my comp would freeze on startup or when I'm here in internet explorer.

My specs:

Abit AG8-v motherboard
pentium 4 3.0 gHz
420 watt psu
2x GEIL pc 3200 256 mb ram
1x kingston 512 mb ram
80 gb maxtor hard drive
ati x800 XT 256 mb
SIIG ultra ata 100 PCI ide controller (my harddrive runs through this)
Dvd/CD (master) CD/R (slave)(they hook into the 1 onboard IDE)

I'm not sure if this is important, but on the power connector for the X800, I only have 2 of the 3 connectors connect to a source: the6 pin to the card itself, and the 4 pin connect with the prongs, and the one with the 4 holes is not connected to anything

and i dont think its overheating as i have a vent plus 4 fans.

EDIT

Now its freezing on startup too.

Edited by faultywiring, 27 June 2005 - 10:37 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. First, make sure you have the most current driver for your video card available to install. Then go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and get Driver Cleaner (it is free). Then go to add/remove programs and remove the current vidoe driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current driver.