Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

JAVA and/or Active X Problems

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hey there. So my Windows 98, Internet explorer doesn't load Java and/or Active X, so I can't load a lot of web context. I have certain knowledge in computing, so I've tried some things in Internet explorer and went to Microsoft web-site for assistance. I also tried other browsers like Opera 7 , 7 and 8. Looks like it is a problem within Windows, and is not exclusively IE. Please help. :tazz:

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you say it won't load them, what happens when you try? does it give you an error message? In general when you can't run those I look to malware... virus, etc....

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I have Zone alarm and AVG. I did go to Symantec and other web-sites to check on-line for viruses just to make sure. I also went to the web-site Microsoft suggested to test Java. Nothing works. I uninstalled all new Java versions, and only left the one that was there originally. It improved a bit, but nothing is being complete or fully loads as far as Jave and possible Active-X based stuff goes. I did test by turning off Firewall, Antivirus and clearing cache and reloading. One more thing, I have router, which also has strong Hardware firewall that works perfectly (according to grc web-site). I cannot turn it off. My other PC, which runs XP Pro/MCE works perfectly fine, even behind this firewall.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Try this:

Right Click on Internet Explorer

Click on Security

Click on custom Level

Active X Control and plug-ins

Download signed ActiveX controls

Click Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls

Click Prompt

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as save

Click Prompt

Run ActiveX controls and Plug ins

Click Enable

Script ActiveX controls marked safe for Scripting

Click Enable

Close window

Sometimes that helps, I've just reinstalled plugins and that usually helps. :tazz: