Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows First Vs Second Edition

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi. I heard that Windows 98, second edition is less secure, or have security flaws. Please advise.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Whether SE is less secure I don't know, but there are MS security updates for both first release and second edition. I do know that SE is much better as an operating system and FR has many small but annoying bugs, like saying you're out of memory when you have plenty. Fully updated SE with a JRE package and ie6sp1 will run very well and have few if any script errors. If you add a firewall (I reccomend Zone Alarm) and a virus package you should be well protected.

PS; I'm on a machine with SE right now.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
;) I'm not aware of specific security issues with 98SE over 98.

I always thought that it was about stability, Microsoft released SE to address blips.

A kind of XP service pack 2 - but for Win98?!

Then again, might be just one of those urban myth thingies! :help:

:tazz: Surrender to the code ... prepared to be assimilated ;)

Dave B - Linuxwannabee

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Windows 98 first edition was not an operating system it was a failure. The second edition came out with in mounths of the first because the problem was so bad. I have a computer with windows 98 and never done any updates and it has never had any problems that were not my fault.