Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new build shuts down

• Please log in to reply

rocknrichard

rocknrichard

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[FONT=Courier]
I am building a new computer using an asus a7v600-x motherboard, amd 2800 333 athlon xp, and 512mb pc3200 dram. After power up it goes to bios screen and shuts down usually after 40 second or less. I have reseated the cpu and it is making contact with HS. I have swapped out PS. I have 2 80mm case fans. this is not my first build. Any suggestion?

Advertisements

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
When a computer turns off especially on computers just built its usually due to power or heat.

You say you have changed the PSU and made sure the HS is in contact with the processor. Are you using any Thermal Compound?

rocknrichard

rocknrichard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
definately used thermal paste. It all seems to squeeze out so, I loosened the clamp to keep a layer on the core. I even tried different HS.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

definately used thermal paste. It all seems to squeeze out so, I loosened the clamp to keep a layer on the core. I even tried different HS.

View Post

Oh no, have I read that correctly? - you loosened the spring clip that secures the heatsink? NOOOOO!

The only reason for the thermal paste squidging out is because you have used too much of the stuff! Using too much can be almost as harmful as not using enough.

If the cpu still works at all, I suggest you clean the remaining paste from the heatsink & cpu using a special antistatic cleanser. Reapply a fresh blob of good quality thermal paste - just place a pea sized blob in the centre of the cpu then spread it over the die so it's covered in a thin film of paste. Reattach the HSF (as long as the clip hasn't be bent out or altered), connect the fan & fire the system up.

rocknrichard

rocknrichard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
reapplied thermal grease, same symptoms.

If humiliating myself in public will fix the problem, I don't mind at all.

That's why I'm asking for help. If I knew the answer I wouldn't be here.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
So whats happening now? Is the system still booting then shutting down after about 40 secs?

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Just out of interest, can you check the temperature of your Cpu in the bios before the shutdown? That would show if the problem is heat or not.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Are you sure the HS is mounted correctly it is possible to mount (rotate) a socket A HS 180 degrees in the wrong direction. This is a common mistake, make sure the stepped portion of the HS is facing the part of the socket that says 462.

Make sure the HS is compatible with socket A

Rick