Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freecom Classic External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

DrTroy

DrTroy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just bought this today.I've been reading the manual & it's saying something about creating about a sync folder.
Now,I'm not computer literate so my question is,the files that I want to store there,can I not just move them onto the drive or do I have to have this sync folder :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm not an expert on this particular subject but as far as I know....
you should be able to simply use the external drive as normal (ignoring the sync folder). Anything that you do place in the sync folder allows the files on the internal hard drives to be synchronized with ones on the external or vice versa. eg if 2 copies of a file exist with different dates for example, when synchronized, the older copy should be replaced with the newer copy.

Please correct me anyone if I am talking complete crap here, this explaination has been based largely on an educated guess!

DrTroy

DrTroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm not an expert on this particular subject but as far as I know....
you should be able to simply use the external drive as normal (ignoring the sync folder). Anything that you do place in the sync folder allows the files on the internal hard drives to be synchronized with ones on the external or vice versa. eg if 2 copies of a file exist with different dates for example, when synchronized, the older copy should be replaced with the newer copy.

Please correct me anyone if I am talking complete crap here, this explaination has been based largely on an educated guess!

View Post

Thank you Samm,that's what I was thinking myself.
I bought it really to store music & video files & I did transfer a few over today & they seemed to work ok.

Thanks again :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome but like I said, I may be completely wrong (it's unusual but always possible!)
Wait and see if anyone else here can confirm or add to what I've said.

DrTroy

DrTroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll keep checking back :tazz:

Davrobin

Davrobin

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I guess you have found out the best way of using your freecom by now..... but for anyone else looking, the freecom sync folder is actully a "briefcase". These are special directories in windows used for synchronising files between 2 systems (or between a system and removable media)....e.g. your desktop and a usb drive.

When you copy a file or directory into a briefcase, windows keeps track of where it came from. If you take the briefcase away from your system (e.g. unplug the usb and use it elsewhere) then plug it back in at a later date (e.g. after you have been working on usb copy of the files at home) you can ask windows to re-synch the briefcase.... in which case it looks for the new / deleted / changed files in both the original location and in the briefcase, and gives you the option of bringing them back into step with one another.

hope this helps!

now I'm about to add a post of my own asking for the best way of synching the "my documents" folders from 4 different users on the same XP system :whistling:

Dave R.