Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to backup child domain server over network

• Please log in to reply

Adesh

Adesh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I need to do a backup of a server in my child domain. I wanted the data to be backup to a tape drive on a server in my parent domain. I am using msbackup to do the backup.

However, I am only able to browse the network objects in the child domain and the Active Directory of the parent domain.

I am unable to navigate to the server with the tape drive in the parent domain. how do I accomplish this?

Any assistance, would be deeply appeciated.

Thanks
Adesh :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what servers?

is the tape drive you want to back up to published in active directory as a resource?

Can any computer other than the pc it is attached to see it in the parent domain?

Adesh

Adesh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Gerry,

The server I would like to backup is the PDC in my child domain. The interesting thing is that I don't see the tape drive on the pc it is attached when I click on the "My Computer icon".

The only way I can access the tape drive is via the CA BrightStor backup application on that machine.

On all my servers that I have a tape drive attached, I can only access them via BrightStor.

Strange isn't it? :tazz:

Adesh

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not really....special drivers, not network enabled/aware. Did you share the tape drive (if possivle)

You're going to need to try a different alternative, I suspect.---maybe back up to a directory on the server, then back up the directory---do it in two stages.

Adesh

Adesh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Gerry,

Another issue I am trying to resolve aswell is that, when I click on "Network Neighborhood" on the pdc in my child domain, I can navigate to my parent active directory.

However when I click "Network Neighborhood" on a pc in my parent domain, I cannot navigate to my child active directory.

Any advice would be great...

Thanks
Adesh :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what server os are you using on these machines?

nt, 2000, 2003?

Adesh

Adesh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am presently using windows 2000.