Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HTTP cookie monster attack

• Please log in to reply

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I really don't know hwere to post this, so since I have xp I will post it here and if there is a forum for this type of thing can one of the mods please move it. Thanks.

When logging onto this site from home, the homepage loads up easily, then when attempting to access any other link from this my norton 2003 tells me that I am being attacked via the form of a HTTP cookie monster attack. It works fine when accessed from work like I am now. But from home it shows the attack and then says that the server isn't working and I cannot access the site. It knocks out my internet for about 5 minutes, and to be able to load the homepage again I have to reboot.

Does anyone have any answers??

Thanks woody.

Advertisements

Dark-Fact

Dark-Fact

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Be more specific and I might be able to help. Otherwise, reformat your computer. :tazz:

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Exactly how can I be more specific, when I log onto this site I am attacked by a HTTP cookie monster attack. Somewhere in Indiana I think, comes from geeks12 server?? what else do you want to know??

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Apparently it is a netscape cookie monster attack, had a look at the symantec website, and it says it is a moderate threat. My Norton says that the website that is attacking me is somewhere in Indiana and geeks12.... is listed there as someting, but I can't remeber exactly, cos I can only post from work.

I have read from a few other places about it but to no avail, all places say about it but not what to do about it.

Can anyone help me please, do I need to post this in malware removal???

Thanks woody.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first, are you using netscape?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, does this occur when you are logged in?

what about if you log out and are browsing the forums?

robwgreen

robwgreen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had the same problem a few days ago. Only from this site when I tried going to forums. Added the IP address to my allowed list on Firewall and no problems yet.

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I use IE and firefox, I cannot remember which it happened to first. I think it may have been firfox, cos have been using it for the last month or so, but this is the first time this has happenend, I haven't tried the logging out, as I am logged straight in as I logon.

cheers woody

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, the servers are in the midwest (now), and you are required to have a cookie so that the server can authenticate you (know who you are, and maintain information for your login), so it is not inconceivable.

When you visit this site, the server WILL check your cookies. When you log in you get at least two cookies so the site will know what to do with you (access to geek university or trusted helper sections, for example)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'll ask admin to take a look.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for reporting this problem! It seems to be a false positive from Norton, but I'm looking into it further. :tazz:

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks alot guys :tazz:

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Been scouting about on google, and found this, I saw the part about the false positive, and I hope this may help.

check out the post below

http://www.arseburge...ves/001101.html

cheers woody

Dark-Fact

Dark-Fact

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Woody1977, have you solved your HTTP Monster Cookie Attack problem yet? If not, I think I might know how to fix the problem. First, Re-Install your Norton Antivirus because your Norton Antivirus might be enfected. And then if you still receive an HTTP Monster Cookie Attack, delete all cookies/files/history in your Internet Explorer/Fire Fox/Netscape properties. If that does not work, try to download the Ad Annihilator at http://www.soft32.co...load_23592.html and use the program. If that does not help, try to disable your cookies in your Explorer/Fire Fox/Netscape properties. If that does not help, restart your internet by shuting down and turning on your internet connection modem. If that does not help, restart your computer. If that does not help, kill somebody (just kidding). If none of my advice helps, try asking someone else to help you or just reformat your computer. Goodluck. :tazz:

Edited by Dark-Fact, 27 June 2005 - 07:21 PM.

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Right all is well again, i deleted all cookies from fiefox and IE. I allowed this site as trusted in my norton firewall. I have to logon to this site everytime i logon. I have kept it this way, cos I think it may have something to do with it. All is well agin in cyberland lol :tazz:

cheers woody