Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pak 2 and Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Deb227

Deb227

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
If I uninstall the SP2, should I try to remove the problem items before I reinstall SP2 or install SP2 right away? And if I reinstall it right away, what will it actually be doing for me? Thanks

Advertisements

char12

char12

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

If I uninstall the SP2, should I try to remove the problem items before I reinstall SP2 or install SP2 right away? And if I reinstall it right away, what will it actually be doing for me?  Thanks

View Post

lets just unistall windows pk 2 and restart your computer and see if you still get the same error messages.

Edited by char12, 25 October 2004 - 02:12 PM.

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Do not uninstall anything at this satge. Thanks for your attemp at helping char, but uninstalling windows? There is no need for that.

debs27 Please ignore previous posts and start over. From the top.
Remember you told us this:

I checked them off and rebooted in safe mode, then I viewed hidden files, and then I did disk cleanup. When I closed my computer to reboot a message came up that said END Program: Fontexe.svc not responding and

Note the "hidden files, and then I did disk cleanup". This is wrong. You have done so well up to now, and your at the last hurdle, so im going to explain. When you reboot in safe mode you are advised to do a disk cleanup, but the actual task we want you to do is locate the files we ask you to delete. This is exactly why they return. Note : "rerun" It simply restarts.
As you browse your folders, whether it's documents for work or your leisure you may have a location that you navagate to on a daily basis. We need you to do exactly the same to delete the bad files...But in safe mode.

So now we are to start over, but it should'nt take so long as i know most of your log has been cleaned.

Please post a brand new hijack this log. Thanks.

Deb227

Deb227

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Well hello, thank you for coming back. I just wish you had a 1-800-yarnouth number to call. HAHA. Seriously, when I go in safe mode should I look for these file like this: remember I'm dumb about this. my computer, then go into my C:drive and look for those files in either in windows, programs, or docu. and settings? I did see a file before in my windows that said fontssvc with a screen that looked like a computer above it. When I clicked on it nothing came up. I have other files which say fonts with a file folder, when I click on that I see all my fonts there. Should that fontsvc file be there? If so is <_< it there where I'll delete it? Do I delete it by right clicking and delete? Obviously, if none of this is right, please tell me how? THANKS FOR COMING BACK Deb

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

then go into my C:drive and look for those files in either in windows, programs, or docu. and settings?

Hi
That's right. You also know from above posts, the two remaining files to fix with Hijack, and then a safe mode boot to delete them. You can, as you asked delete them by right clicking and selecting delete. (Alternatively you can configure your toolbar to show these icons for speed and ease of use, but lets go with your way for now)

Because of the nature of spyware, i'd better see your log to check it's still only two items to delete. <_<

Deb227

Deb227

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Here is my Hijacklog again. Please let me know if those three are the only to delete. Thanks again!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 6:57:27 PM, on 10/26/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Smtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\COMPAQ\CPQINET\CPQInet.exe
C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\CCPDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\fontsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq 1400P Inkjet Printer\CPQ1400P.EXE
C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 15\minimavis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Hernandez\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.bhawk.net
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.bhawk.net
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bhawk.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = BlackHawk Internet
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn3\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CATLEvents Object - {6A06CDAD-9D2D-42A0-9C91-C0CF7CB9971B} - C:\DOCUME~1\HERNAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\cvstnof.dat
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn3\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WCOLOREAL] "C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Coloreal\coloreal.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] Smtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CCPDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\CCPDPSRV.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop-Up Stopper] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScreenPrint32] C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcactive] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcmonitor] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*fontsvc] C:\WINDOWS\fontsvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [*fontsvc] C:\WINDOWS\fontsvc.exe rerun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: CPQ1400P.lnk = C:\Program Files\Compaq 1400P Inkjet Printer\CPQ1400P.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\PrintMaster\PMremind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Internet Answering Machine.lnk = C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Personal Coach.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...nst20040510.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{B49FDE2A-2F29-460A-870A-B6A021D64A6E}: NameServer = 12.175.18.51 12.148.201.35

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Hiya deb. This should be the final stage of our fix. Armed with the know how, you know whats next...

Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.

O2 - BHO: CATLEvents Object - {6A06CDAD-9D2D-42A0-9C91-C0CF7CB9971B} - C:\DOCUME~1\HERNAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\cvstnof.dat
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*fontsvc] C:\WINDOWS\fontsvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [*fontsvc] C:\WINDOWS\fontsvc.exe rerun

Please reboot into safe mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?.
Be sure you're able to view hidden files, and remove the following files in bold (if found):
C:\DOCUME~1\HERNAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\cvstnof.dat
C:\WINDOWS\fontsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\fontsvc.exe rerun

Please delete your temporary files. Double Click My Computer (WinXP: Navigate to Start --->My Computer)
You will see an icon representing your harddrive (most likely C: Drive) Right Click on the hard drive icon and click Properties at the
bottom of the fly out window. One the very first tab (General) you will see a button labeled "Disk Cleanup"...click that button.
Make sure the following are checked:
Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files and
Recycle Bin

Click OK and Disk Cleanup will delete those files for you.

Reboot, and lets see your new log. <_<

Deb227

Deb227

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hello, Here is my new log. I think IT IS GONE!!!!!! Will I be able to use Internet Explorer now? Thanks for hanging in there with me. I really appreciate it. I hope that everything will work OK now!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:23:32 PM, on 10/27/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Smtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\COMPAQ\CPQINET\CPQInet.exe
C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\CCPDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system\mcutil.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq 1400P Inkjet Printer\CPQ1400P.EXE
C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 15\minimavis.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Hernandez\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.bhawk.net
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.webshots....art/client/RAND
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.bhawk.net
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bhawk.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = BlackHawk Internet
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn3\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CATLEvents Object - {55E301E5-BA44-4095-BB0B-14E0123CCF71} - C:\DOCUME~1\HERNAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\litucm.dat
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn3\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WCOLOREAL] "C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Coloreal\coloreal.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] Smtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CCPDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\CCPDPSRV.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop-Up Stopper] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScreenPrint32] C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcactive] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcmonitor] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*mcutil] C:\WINDOWS\system\mcutil.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [*mcutil] C:\WINDOWS\system\mcutil.exe rerun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: CPQ1400P.lnk = C:\Program Files\Compaq 1400P Inkjet Printer\CPQ1400P.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\PrintMaster\PMremind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Internet Answering Machine.lnk = C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Personal Coach.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/...40510.cab\

<_< :D :D