Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another BF2 Problem

• Please log in to reply

cardsap05

cardsap05

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have been having the same problems with the black screen and then the desktop. After reading other posts, i have concluded that i will probably need to get the Geforce 5700 or 6600. My question is which one. Ive heard that the 5700 is just as good and cheaper. My other question is which brand to buy since there are so many that can range from $70-$330(5700) and $100-$500(6600)

Advertisements

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
In terms of brands I recommend not buying Leadtek. I think Leadtek has ugly heatsinks. But in terms of performance they are all the same becasue they use the same chips :help: :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah: :tazz: ;) ;)

hvc801

hvc801

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
i wounder why your talking about heatsinks......... hes talking about video cards..? and how come no one ever recommends or talks about the 5950 ultra .. i ahve the card .. its great .... but if you want between 57 or 66 .... get the 66. but make sure its def your video card .. and that you ahve your drivers updated..

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
What card are you using now and when is the game booting you? ie, when it is loading, trying to initialise 3D etc?

I was also having CTD's with BF2 using a BFG 6600GT OC on a AMD 4000+; 1gig Corsair XMS system.

I increased the voltage to the RAM and removed, updated and reinstalled ALL drivers not just video. This has solved the problem.

Perhaps make sure you have given everything software and bios related a go before getting a new video card, unless you are seriously underpowered in which case, you can be pretty sure it is video related.

As for options, lots of people are still using the 5 series Geforce cards but for nominal dollar difference, I would go for a 6600 GT (try and stay away from the vanilla 6600's - ie, no 'GT').

The 6600GT's are very solid cards, a workhorse that will enable you to play most games on medium to high settings, depending on the rest of your system config. Don't expect to be playing new games on ultra high settings with 4 x AA and 8 x AF on a 6600GT though.

As for brands, BFG is a good brand and their products are backed by a lifetime warranty. As the 'OC' suggests, the 6600 GT OC and 6800 GT OC are overclocked out of the box - I think increasing the core clock frequency by 25 mhz or thereabouts. BFG cards also tend to over clock further quite well.

Leadtek are normally also very good, irrespective of their aesthetics. Gigabyte are making some decent cards now, and ASUS as always are popular.

Have a look on Google for comparisons of 6600 GT's and go from there.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
He knows what graphics chip he wants. He said hes getting a geforce 5700. He just is not sure of brand. All the brands are similar just they have different heatsinks on the graphics cards.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Note Much Between The Cards Really (SAME)

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
yea..what he said

cardsap05

cardsap05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
After i start the game up it goes to a black screen for a second or two, blinks once and then returns to the desktop.

I have a 64mb ddr nvidia geforce4 mx 420

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Ya, you need to upgrade. You don't meet the Min requirement of a geforce 5700 or higher.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Molexrulz, he didn't say he had decided on the chip. He said "i will probably need to get the Geforce 5700 or 6600. My question is which one."

The brands aren't necessarily similar. Some will offer higher clockspeeds, additional memory or better cooling. The chipset is the same but the cards vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

But, you can be reasonably certain it is your video card that is causing the crashes.

Edited by KGH, 28 June 2005 - 05:17 PM.