Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Everything is slow... [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry if it took a while, it took its time, haha, but here it is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ANTI-VIRUS WEB SCANNER REPORT
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:19:13
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Web Scanner version: 5.0.67.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 28/06/2005
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 135673
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
Scan using the following antivirus database: extended
Scan Archives: true
Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\

Scan Statistics:
Total number of scanned objects: 39387
Number of viruses found: 5
Number of infected objects: 9
Number of suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan process: 8630 sec

Infected Object Name - Virus Name
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP106\A0016041.srg Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.BargainBuddy.q
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP78\A0010143.exe/data0001 Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.IstBar.ja
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP78\A0010143.exe Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.IstBar.ja
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP79\snapshot\MFEX-1.DAT Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.BargainBuddy.q
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP80\A0010244.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.BargainBuddy.q
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP80\A0010251.exe Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Dyfuca.dx
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP80\snapshot\MFEX-1.DAT Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.BargainBuddy.q
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP84\A0010537.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.ToolBar.YourSiteBar.c
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP84\A0010550.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.ToolBar.SideFind

Scan process completed.

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Are you still getting warnings about these:

A0013803.EXE
A0016040.EXE

Or were they deleted?

Kaspersky only find some items that were in system restore.

Still having lag problems?

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
When my anti-virus found them i deleted them, but IE is still lagging, and crashing on me. should i uninstall and then reinstall it? and can i update to SP2 now?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
If IE is still giving you problems, I would try uninstalling and re-installing and see if it helps. Your system is clean, so you can download SP2. However, I would wait to see what happens are re-installing IE before downloading that.

After re-installing IE, there are a couple of things we can remove from startup to see if that helps anything :tazz:

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yea, how would i go about to uninstalling it and reinstalling?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok, it's XP so let's try a repair install...

Disconnect from the Internet, close all programs and windows.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Windows\inf

Scroll down to find the file ie.inf

Right-click this file and choose "install".

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
i found ie.PNF but i did not find ie.INF

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok, that's a little problem...do you have hidden files showing?

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yes, i have hidden files showing.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Try doing a search on your C: drive for ie.inf to see if it shows up anywhere.

Advertisements

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yea, beat you to it. it didnt find anything.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok -

Go ahead and go to http://www.microsoft.com
Click on "Windows Update" on the left
Then click "Express Install" install the security updates.
We will see if the Service Pack 2 helps out IE (it's a patch for XP and IE)

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
okay it finally updated it took forever iono why. haha anyways while it was downloading the update my anti-virus gave me this:

Infected file: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP106\A0016041.srg
Virus name: ADW_EXSEARCH.B

Infected file: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DFA33BC-47B2-4982-B6A7-94D1AE2CF9E5}\RP106\A0016041.srg
Virus name: ADW_EXSEARCH.B

i know its in a restore thing, but it keeps poping up. as for internet exploring, its doing hmm a bit better. haha. anything else? you said something about removing something from the start up.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
We will clear restore points once we're sure everything is ok. This is a precaution because I would rather you be able to restore back to an infected point should something happen than have none at all. So, once we've done everything I will tell you how to clear those out :tazz:

This part is important should you decide you would like to put anything back on startup:
First, I need you to right click on the desktop and go to New > Folder - click on it and name it whatever you want. Locate HiJackThis.exe on the desktop right click on it and go to "cut", then go into the folder you just made and click "paste". This is to ensure backups are saved and accessible.

This won't remove them from your system, it will just remove them from startup to free some system resources.
Run HiJackThis. Place a check next to the following items and click FIX CHECKED:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime <- System tray icon for Quicktime. Available via Start > All Programs

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl <- System tray icon for AOL Instant Messenger. Available via Start > All Programs

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE <-For MS Office - not required and a huge resource hog

Close HiJackThis. Reboot your computer and let me know if it's running better!

auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
okay, MUCH BETTER! now what? oh windows is still downloading updates.