Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP not recognising SATA?

• Please log in to reply

ninjalicious

ninjalicious

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently bought a new computer (hoorah!) and it has a SATA 200gb drive in it. I wanted to save a bunch of stuff from my old IDE C drive so I put that in and booted off that. Now Windows won't acknowledge my SATA drive although I made sure I uninstalled all the previous drivers from my old motherboard and put in the new motherborad drivers, including SATA. However when I run the SIS Utility that came on the motherboard CD it tells me it knows it's there, however Windows refuses to acknowledge it! What can I do? Should I just whack the stuff on CDs now and then take the IDE drive out? Which leads me to the below paragraph!

I'm also scared that if I take the IDE drive out it won't recognise my SATA drive to install Windows to (although it knows it's there in the BIOS). Do I need to change some settings in the bios I may have missed? Also when I take the IDE drive out what will I need to set up in the BIOS so that it recognises the SATA drive and lets me install to it (boot order etc) Sorry, never played with SATA before as you can probably tell :tazz:

I have an ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX motherboard (the link is here). Any help would be muuuch appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisements

ninjalicious

ninjalicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgot to mention, also in my System profile in Device Manager it names the SATA drive as an "SCSI disk device". Is it supposed to be called that? Surely not? Maybe that's why it's not working, I don't know.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hi ninja, welcome to geeks to go!

SATA is considered a scsi device by windows, so what you saw listed is correct.

first thing to do is remove your IDE drive, to make sure you dont format or reinstall it by accident.
next go into BIOS, you will want to remove the hdd (IDE hard disk) from the boot order. depending on your board, you may have an option to list a scsi or sata drive in the boot order, or you may have an option after the boot order that allows to boot to other device. find which is appropriate for your system and enable/select it.

then, when doing your install of windows, when it prompts to press F6 to install 3rd party raid or scsi drivers, do so. press S when its prompts (have the floppy with the sata drivers in the drive), then select the correct driver, and you will be good to go.

any questions or problems, let us know, we can help you out.