Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xbox looses DNS connection


  • Please log in to reply

#1
hurlcode

hurlcode

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a linksys BEFSR81 version 2 router sitting behind a Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router behind the wired router.

I had the xbox running through an ethernet bridge (Linksys WET11 v2), and it mostly worked in this configuration. To be excruciatingly clear, the original configuration had the xbox connected through air to the WRT54G, which was connected to the BEFSR81, which in turn connected to the cable modem and the internet. This configuration mostly worked, but there were issues with lag, and the xbox would occassionally go into its recovery procedure, where it would complain about not being able to resolve the DNS. When I first connected this configuration, it was very problematic, requiring me to power cycle the modem, both routers, and the xbox, but then it eventually settled down to every couple of weeks needing a reboot.

So, I decided to improve things... {And I need the WET11 back for it's original purpose.}

I put the connectors on that extra cat 5e cable in the wall (who doesn't have 3 or 4 spares in their walls?), and connected the xbox via hard wire to the BEFSR81 router. I tested the cable with a standard ethernet buzz box, and all the connections map out as 'ok'. At first, this worked fine - that lasted for a couple days with no issues. But now, the xbox is not happy. It started going into its' recovery procedure about every 10 minutes.

I've updated the BEFSR81 firmware to the latest available. I had turned off a bunch of 'well known ports' such as FTP, because I'm not serving anything from behind my firewall, and I wanted to prevent any potential trojan horse from pumping data out through my firewall - I turned all the ports back on. And I put the xbox into the DMZ. I'm thinking that the ports could not have been an issue, since the xbox was running pretty well through the wireless link. The BEFSR81 would have stopped those ports in the wireless connection, if they were important.

This has helped. My xbox is no longer having problems every 10 minutes - now it is having problems every three or four hours. This is not acceptable, but at least it is usable.

I've also swapped the ethernet connection for the one that the computer in that room has been running for 3 years without issue. {In other words, I swapped the 'new' cable in the wall with the established one, putting the computer onto the new cable, and the xbox on the established cable.} This experiment is still on-going, and it is too soon to determine whether the problem still exists. I am afraid that I am going to find that the xbox still has problems.


So.... Any helpful suggestions? What have I not done that might help?
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
hurlcode

hurlcode

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I think the expirment can be safely concluded to be a success. The combination of swapping the cables and reflashing the router seems to have resolved the issue. Strangely, the computer that is on the cable that the x-box does not like, is perfectly happy there. :tazz: But I'm not arguing. Things seem to be running smoothly, so I'm not asking too many questions. Okay, I am starting to wonder if my wiring diagrams are wrong, and the cable the xbox is on is really going to the wireless router (the router the xbox was happy with), but I'm thinking ignorance is bliss.

If somebody else is having a similar problem - (1) reflash your router with the latest firmware. If that doesn't work, go buy a router that is known to work (Linksys WRT-54G is such a router, but there are plenty more to choose from).
  • 0

#3
finallink

finallink

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
You are missing the entire point. You need a new Cable Modem. I went through the same headache. When cox communications started switching over from docsis 1 to docsis 2 and higher speeds and upgraded backbones yada yada the toshiba just couldn't hang. intermittent connections = Toshiba Crap modem
Just try a different cable modem and I guarantee you will see all your problems disappear.
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP