Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Simple processor/motherboard question...

• Please log in to reply

KMPrenger

KMPrenger

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
got a little question here..but ill fill you in on the facts before i ask away...

Ive got a fairly old pentium board that (according to the Intel website) will handle up to a 2.6GHz processor....it has a system bus frequency of 400Mhz. I have a 1.6Ghz currently and looking to upgrade but it is difficult finding a 2.4-2.6GHz processor with a 400FSB.

So my question is..can i run a processor with say 533FSB or even 800FSB for now until i upgrade my board....or do i have to get a processor with a 400FSB to match my board's bus frequency?

Thanx

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try going over to Power Leap and running their configurator. They may have a cpu upgrade for you. http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp

I have an old PIII slot 1 HP 450 Mhz that I wanted to upgrade. HP told me I could upgrade to 800 Mhz maximum. I shopped around for such a cpu and while they are out there, prices vary from almost reasonable to high. I found out about PowerLeap from a friend of mine who did such and upgrae for his old 500 mhz Dell. I ran the configurator and found they had a 1.2 Ghz slot 1 for my system. I got it. My old HP really hums along now!! I am not pleased with their shipping though (UPS, price is high...it could go by USPS at a much more reasonable rate). I suppose it depends on where you live for how bad you get screwed on this. If you push the issue, they might use USPS.

baddabing

baddabing

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go.  You could try going over to Power Leap and running their configurator.  They may have a cpu upgrade for you.  http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp

I have an old PIII slot 1 HP 450 Mhz that I wanted to upgrade.  HP told me I could upgrade to 800 Mhz maximum.  I shopped around for such a cpu and while they are out there, prices vary from almost reasonable to high.  I found out about PowerLeap from a friend of mine who did such and upgrae for his old 500 mhz Dell.  I ran the configurator and found they had a 1.2 Ghz slot 1 for my system.  I got it.  My old HP really hums along now!!  I am not pleased with their shipping though (UPS, price is high...it could go by USPS at a much more reasonable rate).  I suppose it depends on where you live for how bad you get screwed on this.  If you push the issue, they might use USPS.

View Post

Thanks man! The Powerleap configurator is just what I was looking for (sorry to butt in on this thread) but it really is a brilliant tool. It saves so much hassle looking through system specs etc. It even gives you appropriate upgrades for any part of your PC. Fantastic stuff! :tazz: