Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Continuously Crashes

• Please log in to reply

setzergarbani

setzergarbani

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is my problem: It seems that when I try to play graphic intensive games my computer will last for a few minutes (random every time) and then crash. By graphic-intensive games, I mean any game that takes up full-screen. Some games that I've had problems with are, but not limited to; Sims 2 (plus expansions), Ragnarok Online, Doom 3, Half-Life2, etc.

Now, there are times when I've been able to play for a few hours without any problem (most notibly when playing Ragnarok), but then for most games, I only last a few minutes before the whole system crashes.

To be a bit more detailed about my crash, it seems as if the monitor goes into Stand-By and just shuts off. The rest of my computer sounds normal hardware wise (meaning I dont notice the harddrive stopping or anything sputtering or clicking). I am unable to perform any keyboard comands or soft-resets to get back or to even reboot the system, I have to manually reset the computer by holding down my power-button for a few seconds. After that the computer seems to have no problem starting back up again, and no errors are reported by the computer.

I am able to use the computer for pretty much anything else days on end without having the slightest problem. Browsing the internet, burning cds, downloading large files, typing, and even light games (java / flash based games) dont slow me down.

In order to remedy this problem, I've been narrowing down what I may believe to be hardware problems. At first I thought my CPU was overheating (due to my lack of cooling products and/or no AC in my enclosed room), but after purchasing a brandnew CPU and Thermatake fan (sounds like a jet-engine) I continued having the problem. So then I thought it to be my ram being faulty or overheating, so I replaced all the sticks with new ram and bought heatshims just in case. Ofcourse, this all lead me to believe i may have had a faulty mobo, so I replaced that too with a better one. I was intending to replace all these anyway becasue I wanted to upgrade, so I took the opportunity and upgraded.

I'm happy with my new stuff, but it still hasn't remedied the problem and I'm down to the PSU and the graphics card (which should have been the first thing I changed, but it took me long enough to get this one). Now I'm having financial problems and I don't want to change something that isn't going to fix my problem.

I've asked around, but no one has a straight answer, and I do not know what steps to take to even find out what the problem is, let alone how to solve it. If there is anyone who could point me in the right direction, if not help me find an answer, I would strongly appreciate it. My last resort is to send it to a repair shop, but alas, that leads to more financial expenditures.

Can someone help me out? I could be looking at this all wrong and it might be a software issue, but, like i said, I've no idea where to start!

Thanks for the time!

Signed
Frank

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
define crash...

to desktop

lockup

reboot?

setzergarbani

setzergarbani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I thought I was clear on the details.

When I say crash, I mean the screen turns off. As if the screen goes into standby (blackscreen, powerLED turns from Green to Orange). I am unable to get it back on, nothing responds. Forced to Reboot manually. Left it on for a day maybe it would fix itself, nothing happend. The computer simply just stalls with a blackscreen and I am unable to do anything with it until I force a reboot with the powerbutton.

I really dont know how to explain it further. Sorry.

Signed
Frank

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
search your eventviewer for any error messages straight after you re-boot after it stalls. it could tell you some vital information about what is failing!

look into the system log, don't ignore even the warning messages. See if it gives you any clues and sometimes it shouts the answer at you.

tekgen

tekgen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You know, I have had the same problem for about 7 months. I built my own comp and it has kept giving me that crap. I have tried to fix it (unsuccessfully) and I've narrowed it down to psu or graphics aswell. When I checked out my event viewer , I didnt get much :tazz: Nothing pertinent. I fixed some stuff then I started this blue screen instead (first sorta the same thing but instead of standby it's a blue screen with some thinger about srql or something I forget) and then I'll get a 'your system has recovered from a serious error' rapport when I restart. THen I send the rapport to microsoft and then a webpage pops up with some thing about device failure . I think it is the graphic card. I personally have a radeon 9800 pro 128mb ram .. .also it was affected to the blue screen I think when I changed the video setting in the bios because it had my video card rated at 64 and I changed it to the proper 128mb ... I dont know if this helps.. I want to know the solution..

setzergarbani

setzergarbani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
actually. I think I may have temporarily fixed the problem. I continued searching online for some other answers, and I found a page that coincided with what was happening to me. The people helping the other person wanted to eliminate either the PSU or vidcard as the problem and gave several methods to rule them out.

For me, what helped was underclocking my vidcard because it was running too hot in my current configuration. I had it set to its default settings, but the airflow and cooling in my computer were all sorts of wrong. I underclocked my vidcard several ways. I used ATItool that specifically lets me adjust the core and mem ratings, also, i disabled FastWrite and tweaked the AGP from 8x to 4x.

I have been crash free ever since, but this is a temporary solution because I didn't buy a 9600xt just to have it underclocked. I am waiting for a VGA cooler to see if that will solve my problem.

Here is the site I found regarding a fix to our problem. See if it will work for you!

http://www.techsuppo...ic/57721-1.html

Good Luck

Signed,
Frank