Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete unwanted file

• Please log in to reply

malasonia

malasonia

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello, I hope you can help me once again. There is a file that was downloaded from Kazaa that I can't seem to delete. Everytime I try to delete the file the message, "explorer has caused an error in IMAGING.DLL" pops-up. What do you recommend I do? Thanks,
malasonia

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
First you are going to have to get rid of this.

Spyware FamilyCam is a program that captures screenshots and logs program use.

You have Family Cam.

Please reboot into safe mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?.

Then go into add/remove programs and find FamilyCam and remove it.
Next step is the tricky part.

This is done to make sure that all the keys are removed. They may not be there if the uninstaller removed them. If you do not feel comfortable doing this then DON'T, Let me know and follow through with posting a hijack log, and you will be given further instructions. Editing the registry needs to be very precise, so if you do not find exactly what you're looking for then don't delete it.

1. Click Start > Run.
2. Type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right plane, delete the value:

"sentry" = "%ProgramFiles%\FamilyCam\sentry.exe"

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VB and VBA Program Settings

In the left plane, delete the subkey:

CAM

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

FamilyCam

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

sentry.Exe

Exit the Registry Editor.

We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

malasonia

malasonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I couldn't find Spyware Family Cam on my computer at all. (Is Stealth Activity Reporter the same thing?) Anyways when I tried to edit the registry none of the files you asked me to delete were there. However, just in case here is my Hijack This log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:45:09 PM, on 30/09/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DELAYRUN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBSHOTS\WEBSHOTSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\COREL\GRAPHICS8\PROGRAMS\MFINDEXER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.hispeed.rogers.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Rogers Hi-Speed Internet
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: RHSI Toolbar - {4DF5B116-4FD9-4039-B377-1130953A980F} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ROGERS HI-SPEED INTERNET\RHSI TOOLBAR\TOOLBAND.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Delay] C:\WINDOWS\delayrun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RHSI SHS] "C:\Program Files\Rogers Hi-Speed Internet\RHSI SelfHealing\SHS.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe
O4 - Startup: Corel MEDIA FOLDERS INDEXER 8.LNK = C:\Corel\Graphics8\Programs\MFIndexer.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\NPQTPLUGIN3.DLL
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hispeed.rogers.com
O16 - DPF: {68A2C3BD-7809-11D3-8ACF-0050046F2F9A} (AXELPlayer Class) - http://www.mindavenu...yerAX_Win32.cab

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well here's a little bit of details on the stealth activity reporter.....Sound like something you want on your computer? I wouldn't want it on mine, I'd uninstall that for sure.

Your computer still has some spyware programs that we need to remove. For more info on spyware see the Spyware Tools link in my signature. Download "spybot search and destroy" and "spyware blaster" from the link in my signature.

Let's start with a free program. Ad-aware.

Using Ad-aware: Open Ad-Aware and use the Check for updates now link. Download and accept the latest reference file. When finished click the Start button. When done scanning, the Abort button will change to Next. Click the Next button. Right-click in the Scanning Results window and click "Select all objects". Then click the "Next" button and confirm that you want to delete the selected entries.

When finished, Reboot your computer.
CLICK HERE to download Ad-aware

I suggest running these programs a couple of times. Run spybot and adaware, then reboot, and repeat that step once more. (spyware blaster just runs in the background and blocks spyware, you do not need to run that program everytime). Run them both in Safe Mode one time then reboot and post a new hijack log.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

malasonia

malasonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Here's the new log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:44:38 PM, on 30/09/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DELAYRUN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBSHOTS\WEBSHOTSTRAY.EXE
C:\COREL\GRAPHICS8\PROGRAMS\MFINDEXER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.hispeed.rogers.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Rogers Hi-Speed Internet
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: RHSI Toolbar - {4DF5B116-4FD9-4039-B377-1130953A980F} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ROGERS HI-SPEED INTERNET\RHSI TOOLBAR\TOOLBAND.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Delay] C:\WINDOWS\delayrun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RHSI SHS] "C:\Program Files\Rogers Hi-Speed Internet\RHSI SelfHealing\SHS.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe
O4 - Startup: Corel MEDIA FOLDERS INDEXER 8.LNK = C:\Corel\Graphics8\Programs\MFIndexer.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\NPQTPLUGIN3.DLL
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hispeed.rogers.com
O16 - DPF: {68A2C3BD-7809-11D3-8ACF-0050046F2F9A} (AXELPlayer Class) - http://www.mindavenu...yerAX_Win32.cab

malasonia

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well, I don't see anything left to clean out except this

You may wish to print out a copy of these instructions to follow while you complete this procedure.

Please save Hijack This in a permanent folder (i.e. C:\HJT). This ensures backups are saved and accessible.

Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.

Please reboot into safe mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?.
Be sure you're able to view hidden files, and remove the following files in bold (if found):

PowerReg Scheduler.exe

I would recommend running a search for this file and killing it.

Reboot normally.

I also put this link here for you to take a look at and maybe reconsider keeping WebShots around. Let me know what you decide.
http://ccitinfo.web....h_webshots.html

One last thing. Please delete your temporary files. Double Click My Computer (WinXP: Navigate to Start --->My Computer)
You will see an icon representing your harddrive (most likely C: Drive) Right Click on the hard drive icon and click Properties at the
bottom of the fly out window. One the very first tab (General) you will see a button labeled "Disk Cleanup"...click that button.
Make sure the following are checked:
Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files and
Recycle Bin
Click OK and Disk Cleanup will delete those files for you.

So what file were you trying to delete in the first place? Can you delete it now? I am also suggest that you find a new P2P program other than Kazaa. They support their site with advertising, therefore there is spyware and other annoying/malicious things all over the place. Try a new one that doesn't rely on sneaking programs into their users computers.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

malasonia

malasonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I fix 04-Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe on HijackThis but could not find it when I put my computer on safe mode (I made sure that I was able to view hidden files). Do you think this has been deleted off my computer? I also looked at the link you suggested on Webshots. I like my webshots. THe link went on to say that the danger was in the taskbar icon because it is in constant connection with the internet so I deleted the webshots taskbar icon and now I just have to manually change the wallpaper. I also deleted my teemporary files, but I normally do that anyway. Finally, when I tried to delete the image file that I didn't want anymore, it didn't let me. So I moved all my music to My Documents/Music folder and deleted the whole Kazaa program (I haven't used it for a really long time and decided I could care less if I have it). Then I deleted the folder off my documents and it worked. Do you think I need to do anything else (especially regarding that PowerReg Scheduler.exe file)

Thanks,
malasonia

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
PowerReg Scheduler is an optional fix, and removing the O4 will take care of it.

Congratulations! Your system is CLEAN <_<

How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use).

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.
Link to SpywareBlaster: http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=12

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend [http://www.geekstogo...d&id=35]Firefox[/URL].
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .

It's okay to delete the Hijack This folder if everything is working okay.

After doing all these, your system will be thoroughly protected from future threats. :D