Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM help

• Please log in to reply

Loyalty

Loyalty

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay I've had AIM for a few months now and it's been working fine. Then one day all of the sudden it says "The AIM service cannot be reached" when I tried to log in. It's been like that for a week now and it's pissing me off. I've tried clicking the "More Info" button when it says this and it just opens the "If you can't sign on..." page but nothing there helps.

I also deleted it and then downloaded it again, that did nothing. ANY HELP?

And by the way, it has nothing the do with having a bad internet connection obviously....cuz I'm on the internet right now. Maybe it has something to do with "firewalls"? I dunno.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
The firewall normally prompts you when you installed a software that needs access for the internet. You can check the access rights for your programs on the firewall you have (the method of checking access depends on your firewall vendor).

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
That could work, or you can just get Gaim or Trillian, those should work. For instance, my office has a Barracuda Firewall, and it blocks AiM, but it'll let Gaim through. I can't get to the control panel from my workstation, but it works.

Loyalty

Loyalty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

That could work, or you can just get Gaim or Trillian, those should work. For instance, my office has a Barracuda Firewall, and it blocks AiM, but it'll let Gaim through. I can't get to the control panel from my workstation, but it works.

View Post

Yes but AIM had no problems before until now.

And what is Gaim or Trillian, and where would I get them?

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Gaim is an opensource IM client, it's what I use. Trillian is another IM client, that lets you use AIM and MSN, as well as Yahoo. You can get Trillian at www.trillian.com I think, and gaim.sourceforge.net. If those don't work just google it.

Loyalty

Loyalty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gaim didn't work, it ended up just like AIM, it said it can't connect to the server.

any help?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
where are connecting from? are you trying to connect via a corporate firewall?

if you are trying form home then this could be your firewall. it might have blocked this port by default.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Your ports are blocked, just open whatever port you want your IM client to use, and then go from there.