Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Just a question.

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
;) :tazz: Can some one please tell my why companeys use port 8080 rather then port 80?

What is the difference between port 8080 to 80?

Is port 8080 more secure?

Advertisements

M4_Fanatic

M4_Fanatic

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
hi here are some information that i have found about the ports.

port 8080-

This port is a popular alternative to port 80 for offering web services. "8080" was chosen since it is "two 80's", and also because it is above the restricted well known service port range (ports 1-1023, see below).

Its use in a URL requires an explicit "default port override" to request a web browser to connect to port 8080 rather than the http default of port 80. See the discussion of URL defaults and port overrides on the port 81 page.

port 80-

This is the primary port used by the world wide web (www) system. Web servers open this port then listen for incoming connections from web browsers. Similarly, when a web browser is given a remote address (like grc.com or amazon.com), it assumes that a remote web server will be listening for connections on port 80 at that location.

i hope this has answered your question. in other words yes it is more secure.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
basically 8080 is used so that people cannot auto connect to a certain site by default.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
So is port 8080 more secure?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
only because it's not accessed by default by webbrowsers