Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PCI express, or agp...

• Please log in to reply

Tmoney

Tmoney

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i hear PCI express is faster, but really how much faster. I plan on getting a new video card to, so id like to know if there is a price difference between PCI express and AGP video cars. Lastly, i have a AMD A socket, if anyone has sugggestions on mb ^^plz let me know...Thanks alot

Advertisements

Griffin

Griffin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just personalized a PC for my computer upstairs which I will use for my games that I have not been able to play. But I went with a 256mb pci-express card, I heard it was noticeably faster than AGP, but the main reason I got it was because it is a new type of card and I figured that if I at least had the drive in there that when pci-express became extremely popular and fast that I would be able to buy a newer one if needed. I believe it is more of a personal preference between AGP and pci-express and pci-express is of course more expensive, because it is newer.

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
kool ty...i thought it might be faster...but wasnt sure...i think u got the right idea..get it now..and later ull be able to get better ones

Griffin

Griffin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes plus it'll save you the money if you really want the pci-express, you won't have to go out and get a whole new motherboard, hope this helps

:tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you want to go PCIE. it is the new standard, AGP is not getting made much anymore.
if you go with AGP now, you will need to upgrade your motherboard the next time you want to buy a new video card.
also, check around, PCIE cards are actually cheaper to buy than AGP now!