Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Initializing Error

• Please log in to reply

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I recently attached a 9 GB SCSI drive to my system. When I load Windows XP Pro and go to Disk Management, I get the pop-up screen saying there is a new drive attached. When I go to initialize the drive I get this message:

"An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

I have done all the options in the last sentence but this did not fix the issue. Checking the System Event Log, I get this description:

"Unspecified error(80004005). For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp""]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp"[/url]

I clicked that link but all it told me was there was no information in their databases regarding this error. I have searched online for this error under a similar situation and found nothing. Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've found a couple of references to a similar problem with usb drives. they say that sometimes it's a problem with the enclosure. sorry if this doesn't help

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yeah, all I could find regarding that error was with respect to ASP files and database errors. What do you mean by the "enclosure"? I'm trying a different SCSI drive attached the same way, we shall see if it differs.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...they were all external usb drives. it's a little known fact that with drives that a screw too tight or loose can cause operating issues (like tightening the back right mounting screw on an internal floppy drive too tight will cause a BSOD in windows)

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Right, but I don't think that is the case with this. I just hooked up different SCSI drive to the system. I had an older cable which only supported slower data transfers than what the drive could handle. I had no problem with initializing this drive, but the write speeds were extremely low, 16MB/s for a SCSI 3 drive. I took out the old cord, and replaced it with a new cord able to handle up to 320MB/s. Now I am getting the same error as before.

There is a BIOS utility for our built in SCSI controller that allows me to do a low level format and also check the drive mapping - if there are errors it is supposed to fix them. I have run both of these options and this has had no effect on the error.