Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXPhome CWS.Look2Me, BookedSpace, BrowserAid [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
After the registry merge, John's account will let me select wallpaper, but Tina's won't. (John's never had the bogus message, it had a picture of a mountain.) I'm trying again to attach that file.

I called Tina and asked her to look for a Windows XP CD that may have come with the machine. She doesn't remember one, but there is no major stash of CABs on the machine, so I sure hope she has one.

Kate

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Can you log in as the administrator and then merge the registry file??

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi kate,

You can use any Windows XP copy. Need not be the CD which was used to install the windows on this PC. !!!! So if you have one, u can use that CD also without compromising the legitimacy of your Windows !!!!!

I remembered and checked and found that you have Windows 98SE !! So we wait for the CD

Edited by tampabelle, 06 July 2005 - 01:41 PM.

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello again,

Re the MMC error advice:

On the XP, in the c:\windows\I386 directory, I found
DevMgmt.ms_
DevMgr.ch_
DevMgr.dl_
DevMgr.hl_

So I CMD EXPANDed (per your examples) the two files you mentioned to \HJT, and COMPared the resulting files to the ones in \windows\system32. They compared OK. (I haven't disturbed the originals.)

Did you get wininet.txt? I'm not sure where to see whether it was received.

Kate

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Oh, I think I just understood your last post about the registry merge. I think I was logged in Safe/Administrator when I merged it. Should I do it again logged in normally as Tina?

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Can you access the Run at the Start button ??

I havent got the wininet file yet.

Can you mail it to me at fani_kumar@hotmail.com

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Yes, please log in as Tina and then merge the registry file again !!! :tazz:

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hooray! We have wallpaper options on Tina's account. (I logged in as her and merged the registry fix per your post.) I copied the ugly bogus message (wp.bmp) to floppy and erased it from the XP. Do you want a copy? I have already emailed you the wininet nasty file, let me know if it doesn't come through.

Tina is taking her emachines all-of-the-original-software CDs (set of 2) to the postoffice tonight, so I should have them tomorrow AM. There was not a Microsoft XP CD, so I hope that her OS files and tools are included on those emachines CDs.

Even though there are still broken system function issues, thanks to you I am starting to think about this baby going home and back online. I just installed FireFox. (They have been using IE.) I should reinstall her new NAV package. I printed a page of security suggestions from Geeks To Go a week ago, I need to find it...

Tampabelle, I am so pleased.

Kate

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes, we have a working task bar and Start/Run works OK.

Early on, when there was no task bar or Start button, I used the Windows Task Manager's File/New Task (Run).

Kate

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi kate,

I have a few suggestions on what software you should have including AV softwares. So just wait for the instructions !!!

Ok, so what are the issues pending with your PC ???

Advertisements

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Tampabelle,
Here are some issues pending...

Working in Tina's account.
Abnormal system behavior:

Right-click Start, click Search...
[Error] A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup. [OK]
Click OK. Untitled window appears, with left vertical pane and right big white pane. Magnifier labeled Search is highlighted, and another button says Folders. Rest of top controls are grey. At top of left pane, it says Search Companion and there is an X next to it to close it. Clicking the X makes the left vertical pane disappear. Clicking the magnifier makes the left pane & Search Companion name appear & disappear. Clicking Folders makes the left pane & explore tree appear & disappear. Clicking Tools, then Folder Options does not bring up folder options. The menu just disappears.
In any case, there are no input areas for search data.

Click Start/Help & Support. Help and Support Center windows appears.
Click What's new in Windows XP. Get [Internet Explorer Script Error] An error has occured in the script on this page. Line: 72 Char: 2 Error: Automation server can't create object Code: 0 URL: ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\hs.chm:/hs_exploring_windows.htm Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? [Yes][No]
Click yes or no (same result) a couple of times through similar errors, and get text, but it says XOX instead of Windows XP. (I swear to you, it says "XOX brims with new features"...)

Click Start/Help & Support. Help and Support Center windows appears.
Click Use tools/My Computer Information. In the right pane the word "undefined" appears multiple times, sometimes with a green selection arrow next to it.

Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager give [Microsoft Management Console] MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc. This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file. [OK]

Restart Safe/Administrator for max access rights
Try again for Device Manager - same result.

Possibly abnormal:

Explore, doubleclick on Ewido signatures file. [NSIS Error] The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus. You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy. It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED). [OK]

I am hoping that the emachines CDs will provide a Windows XP repair function that might fix all of these deficiencies. However, if you have any ideas for tonight I'll be happy to try them.

Gratefully,
Kate

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Kate,

1. Insert the Windows XP disk in the CD drive. Click on Start ----> Run. Type

sfc /scannow (notice the space between sfc and /scannow)

and hit enter.

2. Open Add or Remove Programs (click on Start ---> Settings ---> Control panel. This should be the 3rd item). Uninstall or remove the following items -

Ewido Security Suite

Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Ewido.

Download Ewido again and install it now. Update the signature files and run a scan.

Let me know how it goes

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi Tampabelle,

I ran SFC /scannow (CD not asked for), no complaints

I downloaded the new Ewido installer & signatures, I still need to make a CD of it. Also Ad-Aware & SpyBot updates.

The emachines CDs didn't autorun when I put them in, contents are:

CD #1/2: folders Drivers, SUPPORT, Tools, VALUEADD
files AUTORUN.INF, T4510.GHO, windows.ico
CD #2/2: folders Drivers, tools
files AUTORUN.INF, T4510001.GHS, windows.ico

Any advice on how/whether to proceed with these?

Kate

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
A restart with the emachines CDs in drives D: and E: actually gives the option to RESTORE WINDOWS XP. Should I do this? Will I need to re-run the SP1a update afterward? Kate

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Dont do the restore Windows yet !!!!

I will just revert to you with the next steps