Meanwhile, before we take her back online, should I
1) remove AVG & install NAV (she just bought a subscription)
AVG is as good as Norton, if not better. Also its free. I suggest keep AVG and see if you can return Norton.
2) install the free version of ZoneAlarm (running on trial now)
3) install SpywareBlaster
4) I've already installed Firefox
5) Install Sun's Java
6) Re-hide hidden/system files
7) Clear restore points and establish a clean one
No !!!! Till the PC is absolutely back in shape dont do that. In the worst case scenario we can still probbaly go back about 2-3 months and get a clear system. If you clear then then you wont be able to do it.
8) Is there any realtime protection in Ad-Aware or SpyBot I should run?
Yes SpyBot offers realtime protection. It detects any changes to your Registry. Ad-Aware is a good cleaner.
I want to show my friend how to run scans with
2) SpyBot -
Nice tutorial on SpyBot http://safer-network...rial/index.html
3) F-Prot Win
I havent used this I am sure the product itself will offer good help.
I also want to show her how to use
1) Windows Updatehttp://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
2) Norton Live Update
You dont need it, if you are installing AVG. Also Norton is supposed to update automatically.
The help topics offer good ideas.
4) Any other email program other than Outlook Express (recommendations?)
I have no ideas on this.
You can read more about Big Fix here - http://www.bigfix.com/
Edited by tampabelle, 10 July 2005 - 08:10 AM.