Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXPhome CWS.Look2Me, BookedSpace, BrowserAid [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Grmph. I've tried everyone I can think of. No MS XP CD. Everyone has preloaded systems around here, except us, and we don't have an XP.

Do we have a plan B?

Perhaps we could start securing the machine against going back online while I keep trying for and XP CD... I'd like to get this baby home soon even if Search doesn't work. Then I can take another swing at it later, if need be.

Yours, Kate

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Kate,

At this point, the machine appears to be clean.

There may be problem with the XP system files.

The PC is functional but without some of the features like Help, Search, device manager etc. This doesnt mean that there cant be any problems. e.g. some of the devices may not be recognised. Additional devices may not be installed.

Is there anyway that this machine can be taken to a emachines dealership/ franchisee for repair installation of Windows XP ???

Another point which you mentioned - When you repair install Windows XP, please go to Microsoft Widnows XP site and download and install all the patches and upgrades available.

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Tampabelle,

I'll have to check into emachines dealership/ franchisee resources. Bozeman is 90 miles away, Billings 130. Certainly nothing within 50 miles. This is deep rural Montana, ranch country.

Meanwhile, before we take her back online, should I
1) remove AVG & install NAV (she just bought a subscription)
2) install the free version of ZoneAlarm (running on trial now)
3) install SpywareBlaster
4) I've already installed Firefox
5) Install Sun's Java
6) Re-hide hidden/system files
7) Clear restore points and establish a clean one
8) Is there any realtime protection in Ad-Aware or SpyBot I should run?

I want to show my friend how to run scans with
1) Ad-Aware
2) SpyBot
3) F-Prot Win

I also want to show her how to use
1) Windows Update
2) Norton Live Update
3) Firefox
4) Any other email program other than Outlook Express (recommendations?)

What is your opinion of Big Fix? I don't know much about it.

Thanks so much for your help in removing a wicked case of the uglies.

Kate

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi kate,

Meanwhile, before we take her back online, should I
1) remove AVG & install NAV (she just bought a subscription)

AVG is as good as Norton, if not better. Also its free. I suggest keep AVG and see if you can return Norton.

2) install the free version of ZoneAlarm (running on trial now)

Yes please.

3) install SpywareBlaster

Yes

4) I've already installed Firefox

OK

5) Install Sun's Java

Yes

6) Re-hide hidden/system files

Yes

7) Clear restore points and establish a clean one

No !!!! Till the PC is absolutely back in shape dont do that. In the worst case scenario we can still probbaly go back about 2-3 months and get a clear system. If you clear then then you wont be able to do it.

8) Is there any realtime protection in Ad-Aware or SpyBot I should run?

Yes SpyBot offers realtime protection. It detects any changes to your Registry. Ad-Aware is a good cleaner.

I want to show my friend how to run scans with
1) Ad-Aware

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

2) SpyBot -

Nice tutorial on SpyBot http://safer-network...rial/index.html

3) F-Prot Win

I havent used this I am sure the product itself will offer good help.

I also want to show her how to use
1) Windows Update

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

2) Norton Live Update

You dont need it, if you are installing AVG. Also Norton is supposed to update automatically.

3) Firefox

The help topics offer good ideas.

4) Any other email program other than Outlook Express (recommendations?)

I have no ideas on this.

You can read more about Big Fix here - http://www.bigfix.com/

Edited by tampabelle, 10 July 2005 - 08:10 AM.

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks, Tampabelle.

I was away all day today (Sunday), but will be trying to button this project up tomorrow. I hope to get my friend, the XP's owner, in on some of the decisions. (We might possibly have another Q for you...) I'll get a status report to you and try to wrap this thread up as soon as I can.

Kate

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Sure no problem

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi kate,

I might have a solution to the problems -

1. Clean Up registry
*Please dowload: RegSeeker.
*Click on "Clean The Registry" in the left panel.
*Check all boxes (make sure the backup box in the lower left corner is selected!).
*After it runs, click "Select All" on the bottom, then right-click on any selected item in the window and select "Delete Selected Items".
*Click "Quit RegSeeker".
Now, open any of your installed programs, and make sure that everything opens ok. If so, reboot, then go back and run the RegSeeker again, do the same thing again if anything is found. It may have to be run several times, but you want it finding none to very few items. *Make sure to reboot between each use of the program.

2. Use Webroot SpySweeper

Please download WebRoot SpySweeper from here:
http://www.webroot.c...6d6f87b866d2848
(It's a 2 week trial)

Click the "Free Trial" link on the right - next to "SpySweeper for Home Computers".
On the next page, click the "Free Trial" button.
Download it and install it.
When you open the program, it will prompt you to update to the latest definitions.
Please do so, then click "Sweep Now"
Then click the "Start" button.
When it's done scanning, click the "Next" button.
Remove everything it finds, then save the log - copy the log and paste it here for me.

Let me know how it goes

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Wed July 13 2005

Hi Tampabelle,

My friend has asked me to go ahead and wipe the drive back to its original state using the emachines CDs. Then I'll install some protection and help her set up a few apps and get back online.

I just spent an hour or so backing up irreplacable correspondence & quickbooks data. Found in the process that quickbooks won't run now, either.

Wish me luck, I'm trying to take the beastie home to its Mama tonight.

Kate

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi kate,

Try my latest suggestions, if you havent wiped the disk aalready. If that doesnt work then you can go ahead with your idea.

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Greetings, Tampabelle.

Here's the wrapup. The emachines 2-CD set turned out to be a Norton Ghost of the initial state of C:. I used that to put it back to its original state, per my friend's request.

I installed her Norton AV 2005, since it is not returnable, and is compatible with BigFix. I did the XP-SP1a install. I installed and updated Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Spyware Blaster. I installed ZoneAlarm and FireFox, also Sun's Java. I put her WordPad documents and Quickbooks databases back on the drive. I created a password-protected account for her.

Once the machine was reinstalled at her home, we got her DSL running, registered Norton, did Norton LiveUpdate, did various Windows Updates (I told her to get SP2 that night), and reinstalled QuickBooks and her printer driver. I showed her the list of rogue "anti-malware" programs. I encouraged her to update and run Ad-Aware and SpyBot frequently, and to update Spyware Blaster. I told her "think paranoid".

Thank you so much for all you time and help. After my next "pre-financial activity" full scan of my machine (Ad-Aware, SpyBot, F-Prot) I will come to Geeks To Go and donate...

Keep 'em humming,
Kate

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Kate,

Please post the HJT log when it is feasible.

I may have some suggestions on how to fine tune your PC :tazz:

KGHN

KGHN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Dear Tampabelle,

I am sorry that I didn't have time to try RegSeeker and Webroot SpySweeper before wiping the drive, so I don't have a final HJT log for you before the wipe. It was a close schedule as it was - we had thunderstorms come through that evening and I had several usually-available hours cut out because the equipment had to be unplugged. (This house got hit by lightning here some years back - fried lotsa equipment including some on an UPSonic UPS/surge box. Actually exploded chips inside a couple of computers. So I am *very* careful about storms, even though we have installed lightning rods.)

When next I go "tutor" my friend, I'll try to grab a HJT log from the new configuration for you then. Thanks for the followup tuneup offer.

Kate

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.