Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor giving me a hard time

• Please log in to reply

rockfan

rockfan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, i have a LG Flatron 776FM monitor and today suddenly a weird thing happened. The screen only displayed about a half of its full display. Also, it appeared to be folding inwards in the center, with a vertical white line... I hooked up an old crappy crt so i could at least try to fix it... Ive downloaded the newest video drivers, i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the screen, etc Nothing worked. Im out of options, hopefully u guys aren't.

Help would be greatly appreciated

thnx a bunch

rockfan

;) ;) :help: :help:

EDIT : maybe theres a way to get it back to factory settings without using the menu? as this doesnt seem to have any effect :tazz:

Edited by rockfan, 28 June 2005 - 12:11 PM.

Advertisements

rockfan

rockfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
anyone? :tazz: ;)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

... I hooked up an old crappy crt so i could at least try to fix it... Ive downloaded the newest video drivers, i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the screen, etc Nothing worked. Im out of options, hopefully u guys aren't.

EDIT : maybe theres a way to get it back to factory settings without using the menu? as this doesnt seem to have any effect  :tazz:

View Post

1) I take it that you still had the same problem with the "crappy" monitor????

2) If you did and new video drivers didn't help, did you try to reset to the default settings for you monitor? Possibly you are out of range for your current settings.

3) Did you check whether you had same problem in "Safe" mode?

Probably forgot a few questions, but it's a start.

Ron

Griffin

Griffin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, I had a similar problem and all I did was check the settings and run in safe mode like he said and it worked.

:tazz:

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey there,

CRTs are possibly one of the most complicated pieces of home hardware. (except for #1 the VCR and #2 the PC)

When installing new hardware, in a windows environment, you MUST make sure you remove the old drivers and hardware settings before you install new stuff.

My advice to you is this, go to safe mode. remove your video card from the device manager. Remove the setting for the Display.

Turn your system off. Then back on. Widows should detect the new hardware, and either install drivers from it's own database, or ask you to provide the drivers that came with the hardware.

From that point on, you can update the drivers from the OEM website.

Good luck

rockfan

rockfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thnx guys ;) for some reason it works again :tazz: i unplugged it yesterday and left it unplugged for the night. This morning i plugged it back in to attempt to fix it, and it was fine again ;)

but stilll thnx :help:

Griffin

Griffin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Haha, don't ya just wish everything with computeres could be fixed over night lol.

rockfan

rockfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
actually, yes :tazz: guess i was lucky this time

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

thnx guys ;) for some reason it works again  :tazz:  i unplugged it yesterday and left it unplugged for the night. This morning i plugged it back in to attempt to fix it, and it was fine again  ;)

but stilll thnx  :help:

View Post

Well, that's one easy way of resetting your monitor's default settings instead of through the Display utility in Control Panel.

Glad you got it done without a lot of trouble. Just hope it's not thermally related.

Ron