Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CA SOFTWARE

• Please log in to reply

tritium_man

tritium_man

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I purchased a new computer wind xp yadda, yadda, yadda, the pc maker which is a local shop very good work to i might add. recommend ca, computer associates ez antirvirus, and pest patrol anti spy ware. I was considering their fire wall, which looks a lot like Zone alarm pro. I am using the ez anti virus and pest patrol. any comments these programs any good? I decided on the Kerio personnel fire wall.

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so what's the question?

Ca has been around a loooong time and makes excellent corporate antivirus and security products. There home products are a relatively newer endeavor, but the antivirus products are solid.

Pest Patrol was purchased, not developed in house. It is OK, but lacks a couple of what I consider important features: namely, system start scans, and prevention of browser hijacks, startup settings and host file protection.

That does not mean it will not CLEAN them, it only means that it does not MONITOR them actively. For advanced users, the diagnostic tool in pest patrol, are...well missing.

Also, you need to update manually.

Still, it's detection rate is good and it's cleaning is effective.

The firewall is another beast. In fact, CA just purchased Tiny Firewall this week, shoot, yesterday, with the intent of putting it's firewall into it's package.

To quote

CA's vice president of eTrust Security Management, Sam Curry:

"This firewall (tiny), elegantly designed, has been popular with high-tech users. We've had our own eTrust firewall from years ago, but frankly this is better."

Hardly a ringing endorsement....

Irony or ironies, Kerio who settled on and Tiny have a long complicated relationship. As I recall, the firewall developers both worked for Tiny at one time, then some broke off to form Kerio, and through some sort of odd twist, they were allowed to take the original Tiny software code with them. Kerio developers renamed it Kerio, Tiny developed its own unique code.

Due to the close relationship, though, the two are very similar.