Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40) (Problem Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
the problem is that it says that when it boots but there is no floppy drive in the computer at all. no cable connected or anything please i need some help.

Edited by andrewasmith1, 28 June 2005 - 01:23 PM.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
open your machine case, make sure both the power and data cables are connected properly into the back of the floppy drive, it would be better if you try to re-insert them. Alsmo make sure that the data cable is inserted properly into the motherboard.

if the above doesn't correct the problem then maybe your floppy drive is faulty.

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
there is no floppy drive. not the driver there is no actual place to put floppy disks in. there are 2 cd roms. thats it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
drop into bios and on the general page there will be a setting for a floppy drive, likely something like

floppy 3.5" 1.4mb

choose it and hit enter and you should be able to disable the floppy drive.

Yes, I know there is no floppy drive, but message is your motherboard telling you that it is not there....somehow, (did you perhaps hit default settings or flash your bios), floppy seek was turned on.

If there is no setting, look for a HALT ON ALL ERRORS setting and change it to keyboard only

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
sorry i mis-understood your original post, my fault.

right if that's the case then you have to make sure that the device is disabled in the BIOS.

you might have to take it off the boot list.

the machine maybe searching the floppy for a bootable media.

did you have this problem before? and what has happened since it last worked?

andrewasmith1

andrewasmith1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks guys problem fixed. GEEKS TO GO IS THE WAY TO GO! I will come here for future use. this was my first time :tazz: Thanks again!

mgunn

mgunn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the info on disabling the floppy. It's 5 year old information and it's still relevant today. Thank you

Zach Kemppel

Zach Kemppel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this error, and this is how i fixed it.
When you come to this screen, hit "f2" to go into the bios/cmos setup
arrow over to "Advanced"
then down to "Integrated peripherals"
go down to "Drive A" and switch it to "none"

your all set.

kklin

kklin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello!

I have same probleme.

My pc give me 3 start up errors and I don't know how to fix it. Maybe somebody can help me.

The errors are:

FLOPPY DISKS FAIL 40
KEYBOARD ERRORS OR NO KEYBOARD PRESENT
CMOS CHEKSUM ERROR - DEFAULTS LOADED

I take out the BIOS battery, I unplug and plug again the data and power cable for hardware and dvd-rom and nothing hapens. I have same errors.

Thank you!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Replace the CMOS battery.

Advertisements

ITgirl666

ITgirl666

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I must to show off with this error halt. I havent got floppy, and i had disable flopy in/on?? BIOS.
The error was on integrated LAN on board. i disable integrated LAN and no error halt

bigbearvengeance

bigbearvengeance

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Back to the floppy disk (s) fail (40) thing what do you mean BIOS im not sure how to get there an disable the floppy.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Wikipedia: BIOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

In IBM PC Compatible computers, the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is a de facto standard defining a firmware interface.

The BIOS software is built into the PC, and is the first code run by a PC when powered on ('boot firmware'). When the PC starts up, the first job for the BIOS is to initialize and identify system devices such as the video display card, keyboard and mouse, hard disk, CD/DVD drive and other hardware. The BIOS then locates software held on a peripheral device (designated as a 'boot device'), such as a hard disk or a CD, and loads and executes that software, giving it control of the PC. This process is known as booting, or booting up, which is short for bootstrapping.

BIOS software is stored on a non-volatile ROM chip built into the system on the mother board. The BIOS software is specifically designed to work with the particular type of system in question, including having a knowledge of the workings of various devices that make up the complementary chipset of the system. In modern computer systems, the BIOS chip's contents can be rewritten allowing BIOS software to be upgraded.

A BIOS will also have a user interface (or UI for short). Typically this is a menu system accessed by pressing a certain key on the keyboard when the PC starts.

Tom's Hardware: BIOS for Beginners
http://www.tomshardw...nners,1126.html

Most PCs briefly display a message describing how you can enter "setup," the program where BIOS settings are adjusted. You're allowed only a few moments to press the required key before your operating system starts to load. To enter your BIOS, turn on the PC and hold down, or press repeatedly, the key required to enter setup. On most PCs this is the DEL key, the F1 key or the F2 key. If your PC will not enter setup using those keys and/or does not display the message described above when first turned on, you will need to refer to your documentation or contact your PC manufacturer for support.

Molsy

Molsy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have some problem. Can I repair it?)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Molsy

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue with any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.