Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt Files, CHKDSK errors

• Please log in to reply

tmm0f5

tmm0f5

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

This problem has been happening for a few months now, but it progressively gets worse. I initially thought it was some type of malware and I posted in the malware section here:

http://www.geekstogo...erl-t17205.html

However I was directed here for potential further help. My computer always reports corrupt files in all different places. Sometimes when I open Nero it tells me that the executable is corrupt and to run an AV program. MS Money, MS Word, MS IE, Ewido Security Guard all have done this at some time or another. Just starting today I couldn't open ZIP files because it would say they are corrupt.

I run CHKDSK /F and it always fixes problems in the same area called "$I30", something along the lines of index entries.

Does this mean that my hard drive is slowly crumping? Do I need to redump my info onto a new drive?

Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by tmm0f5, 28 June 2005 - 02:54 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very likely it is disk failure. Run scandisk, which is much more thorough, and do the thorough test too. In cases like this I like to use a boot diskette, you make one in Add/Remove Programs, and use it to run scandisk in DOS mode. Then you have a graphic interface which shows exactly where any problems are on the disk.

At the command prompt just type in scandisk, then hit Enter

tmm0f5

tmm0f5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Probably a dumb question, but where in Add/Remove Programs do I make a boot diskette?

Plus I formatted a floppy as bootable and then searched my comp for scandisk.exe but it's no where to be found.

Thanks for your help!

Tim

tmm0f5

tmm0f5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I went into my computer, right clicked on my hard drive, went to tools and then check for errors. It rebooted and went through a 5 step CHKDSK this time with no errors found. However I'm still having the same problems.

If I get a new hard disk drive, then just use Norton Ghost to image my old HD to the new HD, will I have the same problems or since it's a new HDD will it be fixed?

Thanks,
Tim

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
OK, I see you've got XP. When I'm on an XP machine I'll see what you have to do. In the meantime someone else might help you.

Edited by Tyger, 28 June 2005 - 06:43 PM.

tmm0f5

tmm0f5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Installed a brand new drive and so far so good.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

tmm0f5

tmm0f5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No luck same problems.

Guess I'll just clear everything and re-install windows from scratch.

Any other suggestions before I do that?

Thanks,
Tim

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you copy everything over from your old drive in a straight swap. Its not a good idea the best way is to stick it in another oc and then copy the files you need over and scan them with anti virus as you get them that way you dont get cross infection of drives. A reformat and reinstall of windows will fix most problems.

tmm0f5

tmm0f5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah I used the Western Digital Drive Tools to just make an image from one to the other.

I'll just reinstall everything from scratch. Any quick way to save emails and such from Outlook Express?

Thanks,
Tim

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Resend them to an internet email service like gmail i assume you have less than 2gig of emails so it shouldnt be a problem just mail them back to yourself later. It is a good way to hide files as well or keep them safe if you are having computer problems.